Project Black Stallion

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't put clear hose anywhere else yet, but it's in the plan too. Also something weird I noticed last night, it doesn't do it as bad when I park the truck nose downhill.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find that brass tee? All I've found have had to be pieced together and end up being huge.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Return tube shouldn’t let it drain back. I know they put the little duck bill thing on them to help the drain back issue. On your fass system you are running a return regulator right? I wonder if that would let it all drain back. With a mechanical pump or the facet pumps, the pump is a at least a restriction to drain back. A well placed check valve (after the regulator) may solve the problem. Just some thoughts.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, if the return from the regulator is basically an open hole to the fuel system that lets air in from the tank.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not seem like I've been doing much with my truck over the past few months, and you'd be right. I had lots of plans for my truck this winter, but lets be honest other stuff and projects got in the way. With the rally fast approaching I've been starting to plug away at my list again. First off I believe I finally solved the issue with why my FASS pump wouldn't prime. Turns out the guy I bought it from had robbed the water separator filter off it at some point and installed a Donaldson filter. The filter was approved by FASS, but he forgot an important part. The filter comes with a little sealing washer that goes over the center threads. I discovered this when I decided to replace the filter and the new one came with this extra little sealing washer and the old filter didn't have one on. Since replacing the filters the pump setup has been working great. Truth is I feel kinda dumb now for not even thinking about this before. Either way I'm happy that was all that was wrong. Also I finally got my mud flaps on that I've had laying on the shelf for quite a few years now. I had to change the outlet of the exhaust a little to clear them, but I'm glad they are finally on. So now it's on to the rest of my list!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta love it.... Chasing wild geese forever until it turns out to be a stupid simple "why didn't I think of that earlier". Glad you got it working right!

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I've posted up an update. As a few of you know I've been chasing an engine vibration since I put the motor back together. It's not alot, but it's enough to drive me nuts. I originally thought it was a low rpm miss. So I swapped the entire fuel injection system from my old engine, no change. Maybe it was a compression issue? Nope, had great compression numbers. Maybe it was a flywheel drilled wrong and the pressure plate was off center? Nope. So now we are diving deeper especially since the oil samples have continued to come back with high bearing material. I'm hoping it will be pretty evident what's going on once I take the pan off and roll it over on the engine stand. If not then it will probally get torn down again and off to the machine shop to get the balance checked. It's just been a bit frustrating to say the least. So this weekend was spent getting the engine ready to pull. I will say when it's ready to go back in I'm going to change a few things like the turbo oil feed and the way I routed some stuff to make life easier and clean things up a bit more.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
wow, that is unfortunate, but I know how annoying it is to not have something right.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's not good news. Hope it makes itself obvious and easy to fix. Keep us posted if you have time.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a little update on my progress. I got the engine pulled and torn down. The main bearings have some odd wear patterns on the lower shells and the front upper shell. I checked and the gear lash is within spec. Everything else with the engine is looking good. So at this point I'm hoping to talk eith the machine shop this week to get his opinion on everything. At the very least I'm going to have him check balance of the rotating assembly, as well as check for a bent or cracked crank just to be safe. I'm really leaning twords a balance issue though.
You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member