Project Black Stallion

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess since I have a little time tonight it'sa good time to show everyone what I'vebeen working on and how it has morphed along the way. A little back story is I have an 86 F-250 extended cab that I had repainted a number of years back. It has a 6.9L and a 5sp that I swapped in to replace the c-6. Now the plan for quite a while now was to freshen up a 7.3 IDIT that I had and swap it in since the 6.9 was developing an external head gasket leak. This was going to be the time I turboed it too with my Hypermax kit that I had russ mod for a 60-1 compressor wheel. I also wanted to do the front suspension since I had done a gear swap to 3.55s in the rear a few years back and never did the front.
You must be registered for see images attach
So here is the old 6.9 as I'm getting ready to pull it. After I got her out i gave the engine bay a bath and gave everything a quick coat of paint

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I then proceed to remove the old front axle and install my new one that I had already replaced the pivot bushings, ball joints, and u joints in
I then installed my new stop tech slotted rotors and EBC brake pads along with new Timken wheel bearings and seals.
Now I finally was ready to move onto the engine. Here is where things morphed a bit. Originally it was just going to be a rering and install of an idit motor, but every one I had needed alot of work. So eventually I ended up with one from my friend Corey who had one with low compression. Hoping to do just a rering on this one as well I soon found out the bores were worn a little too much as well. So off to the machine shop she went to be bored .020 over, line bored, deck checked, and balanced. After getting her back from the machine shop and getting all washed up onto the engine stand she went to wait for reassembly.

After a few more nights I had the crank, cam, rods and new pistons all installed.
Next I decided to use a set of 6.9 heads I had bought a while back from one of my dad's customers. He had the heads ported, new guides, and a 3 angle valve job done. I drilled the head bolt holes out on a mill to use them on the 7.3. I then installed my new Comp 910 valve springs and shimmed them all to within .020in of each other since I'm going to be running a typ4 cam.
Now like I said I was planning on using a modded hypermax turbo to go with my bull moose pump and moose misters, but a friend of mine had his turbo go out so I sold him mine and decided to go big or go home

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is why I got this bad boy
Needless to say moose boost was always a plan later down the road so I had already gotten an upgrade kit from mel over the winter.
So that's where I'm at right now, slowly trying to get everything assembled and in the truck just in time to make a trip to Kentucky for the rally!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking good. at some point I will do a complete rebuild on an IDI for my truck.

a few questions, is the turbo the standard model Mel has or did you change the housings?

are you using the hypermax mounting system?

what are your plans for an IC setup?

if your using almost all the same parts I am you will need to the same mods I have done. feel free to ask of look in my thread, it could make your build go a lot easier.

I will be curious on your boost numbers with the bigger pump. I have found with the 90cc pump and the fan clutch mod I can get 17 psi maybe 1,000 egt WOT and I can hold it there with no problems, almost no smoke and the coolant temp barely moves from 195*.

lastly I highly recommend you don't use a muffler, besides that liquid cooled big boy on the bench.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking good. at some point I will do a complete rebuild on an IDI for my truck.

a few questions, is the turbo the standard model Mel has or did you change the housings?

are you using the hypermax mounting system?

what are your plans for an IC setup?

if your using almost all the same parts I am you will need to the same mods I have done. feel free to ask of look in my thread, it could make your build go a lot easier.

I will be curious on your boost numbers with the bigger pump. I have found with the 90cc pump and the fan clutch mod I can get 17 psi maybe 1,000 egt WOT and I can hold it there with no problems, almost no smoke and the coolant temp barely moves from 195*.

lastly I highly recommend you don't use a muffler, besides that liquid cooled big boy on the bench.
The turbo is the one he had in stock. I checked and it is a .89 a/r exhaust housing which is the tightest T4 housing they offer.

Yeah, I'm using the hypermax mounting system, but I am planning on adapting my headers to the the hypermax up pipes.

At the moment I'm not going to run an intercooler. I wasn't planning on doing a full rebuild on the engine or buying the moose boost turbo now so both of those have used up all of my money i had saved. I may run water/methanol before I intercool it since I'm only going to be running 1 38gal fuel tank. I thought I may get a plastic front tank and use that for the water/methanol tank.

I've been watching your thread too. I saw you had to mod the drain tube and injector line.

I'm curious how she will run too since this will be my first turboed truck for me. I plan on straight piping it with duals out the back. I want to be able to hear her sing, haha!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say, besides the very loud turbo the exhaust note is pretty tame. I would say one of the best sounding IDI I have herd, all the high end rasp is gone. like I said before a lot like a 7.3 PSD.

now that three trucks will have the same turbo we might have to do a drag race. my truck is heaver so I would have a disadvantage.

so heath any 1/4 miles close by? :peelout

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you have the advantage of 2wd and an automatic Elijah, haha! Plus my 5sp needs new syncros so it doesn't always like to shift quickly. Thats on another list of things to do, haha! But hey I'd be up for going to a drag strip as long as the wheel hop on mine isn't too crazy with the new found power.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Heath's truck this will be 4 that I know of. Probably all done a little different. I think mine's the only one with the smaller housing. Don't know if it will be a help or hindrance. I'm hoping that at lower rpm it will be in prime territory on the map because honestly, I'm not going to be loaded to GVW 90 % of the time if ever. We shall see.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With Heath's truck this will be 4 that I know of. Probably all done a little different. I think mine's the only one with the smaller housing. Don't know if it will be a help or hindrance. I'm hoping that at lower rpm it will be in prime territory on the map because honestly, I'm not going to be loaded to GVW 90 % of the time if ever. We shall see.
What exhaust housing does yours have?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's supposedly the three options.

I've got the smallest one. I believe you guys have the middle one. Mine actually has a t3 flange on it which was nice because it was one less adapter.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I hit a couple snags tonight while trying to check valve clearance with the cam. First I found out I'm going to need to make spacers for the head studs along the exhaust manifold. Apparently from the 7.3 to the 6.9 heads the boss is shorter on the 6.9 heads. I also used playdough to check clearance and came up with plenty on the intake but very little on the exhaust side. The interesting thing is I show only .026in on the intake with a dial indicator, but .111in with the playdough and the exhaust is 0 with the dial indicator, but close to .020 with the playdough. I don't get it. I had this head off so many freakin times tonight, ugh. I guess we will look at it with fresh eyes in the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online