Project Black Stallion

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet build! I'm digging that engine paint too, Id like to see some video footage of her purring when you get all the bugs worked out.
Well it's New Holland blue from tractor suppy, haha! I have a video of it idling a little bit, but I was having trouble loading it.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the second attempt at the fuel system went better, but I need some advice. I reinstalled the rebuilt pump and now have 15psi at the pump and it primes on its own so that part is fixed. Now I have a deadhead regulator on the engine to cut the pressure to the 7psi limit, but with the engine regulator cranked all the way I can only get 1 or 2 psi. I'm thinking it's because the carburetor regulator just isn't good for a system that still returns some pressure after the regulator. So I called fass to see if a lower pressure spring for the pump was available and just do away with the engine regulator, but the lowest was 10psi. What do you guys think with this issue?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Im wondering if you will see enough drop after the filter to make the 10psi spring work fine. When you say 15psi at the pump currently, do you mean at the output of the lift pump? Or the input to the IP?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im wondering if you will see enough drop after the filter to make the 10psi spring work fine. When you say 15psi at the pump currently, do you mean at the output of the lift pump? Or the input to the IP?
The 15psi is pump output after the filters. I'm actually reading it from the gauge port on the side of the Fass systems regulator. The 1-2psi is after my second regulator. I debated on getting the 10psi spring and maybe trying to tweak it some.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get it to 10 psi, I’d be tempted to just run it. What’s the flow output of the fass? Do you just need to switch to a return style regulator?

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get it to 10 psi, I’d be tempted to just run it. What’s the flow output of the fass? Do you just need to switch to a return style regulator?
The Fass is a 90gph pump I believe. After talking with the guys at Fass I think I'm going to get the 10psi spring and he said I can try to smash it a little or clip it some to lower the pressure. In hindsight a return style regulator probably would have been a better choice on the engine. If I can't get the Fass adjusted down enough I'll probably go that route.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get the size of the spring you may be able to go to McMaster - Carr and order a spring to suite your needs to reduce the pressure further. I think Rob adjusted his lift pump on the ranger that way.

@F350camper

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I did. I found a stainless spring at McMaster - Carr that got me dialed in. The wire diameter, the number of coils, overall length, and outer diameter all play a roll. They do a pretty good job of listing spring rates to help.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I did. I found a stainless spring at McMaster - Carr that got me dialed in. The wire diameter, the number of coils, overall length, and outer diameter all play a roll. They do a pretty good job of listing spring rates to help.
Yea, I think you will be fine with a 10 lb spring. Lee spring is another great site to search. They have a really good spring search tool you can use.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after bypassing my engine mounted regulator and still only getting 2 psi on my gauge in the truck vs the 15psi on the pump mounted gauge I knew something wasn't right. I thread the mechanical gauge in the port at the engine and I actually do have 15psi there. So I'm looking at the fuel pressure sender and it says 100psi, but I think I have a 15psi gauge. I called autometer up and it looks like someone put the wrong sender in the box with my gauge. Tech support was super helpful and has the correct sender on it's way to my house. Just figures I'm the guy who always has issues even with new parts, lol!

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the regulator on the engine is actually working like it should. I'm still thinking I'm going to ditch it over the winter once I get the correct spring for the Fass pump.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some more done on the truck this weekend and even got to take it out for a few test runs! The exhaust is done for the moment, though I may revisit installing dauls this winter, got my correct fuel pressure sender installed, and a few other small things. Next is getting the hood back on and out to the shop for alignment and inspection!
:peelout
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86