Project Black Stallion

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about it, but my dad didn't think I needed too. Hmm, guess I should have listened to my gut, lol!

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well progress has been a little slow lately, but I have managed some. First off I had to pull the tranny again cause apparently the one tall casting rib inside the bell housing was just rubbing my new South bend clutch. Luckily a little work with the die grinder cleared that right up. Tonight I got the turbo lubed up and installed. It was definitely a tight fit with about a 1/4in to the firewall. The tightness also made it interesting to get to the oil drain bolts, but we got her done! Well after I dropped them what feels like a million times, haha!
You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good. I bolted the oil drain on and put it all in as a unit. its not easy either way.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I thought it would get in the way while sticking the turbo in place. I guess I should have tried that, haha!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I thought it would get in the way while sticking the turbo in place. I guess I should have tried that, haha!

your right, it does get in the way. I just figured it would be more difficult to get the bolts in. it looks like you have a little more room from the firewall to turbo. im sure that made it a little easier to in there.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also bolted it on first. No way I could even imagine getting to those bolts. Now that it's shaped sorta right, I hope it drops back in pretty easy. The other thing I did was use one stud to help hold it while I'm getting the bolts started.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your right, it does get in the way. I just figured it would be more difficult to get the bolts in. it looks like you have a little more room from the firewall to turbo. im sure that made it a little easier to in there.
The biggest pain was I couldn't see it and all I could use was my finger tips. If I ever pull it again I think I'll leave the drain on it.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly making a little progress on my truck in between work, house work, and just life in general. I got the obs powerstroke intake mounted up tonight. Well except for welding a bracket fast to the tube. It was a little late to be welding in the shop. I plan to finish that tomorrow and clean and paint the tube I made.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. did you have to bend the back injector line to fit the intake tube on the turbo?
Nope. I used a spectre tight 90 degree elbow and it cleared by about 3/4in. Then I made the connecting tube with a slight bend to line up with the 90.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a little update on my slow progress. I finally got it running for a minute or so just to make sure all my wiring was good and yeah I wanted to hear her purr too . Problem was I had trouble getting my Fass pump to prime and when it did it only made 2psi max. So now that I'm back from a weekend in Texas I decided to dig into it more. The pump is brand new never used and has been in the box since 2011. It's been through a couple hands till it got to me. Looking at it tonight I found the weep hole at the motor is leaking fuel so my though is it's probaly sucking air there too. I called Fass tonight and it sounds like I need to send it back for repair, ugh. I am wondering if something dried out while sitting. I am really hoping it is a simple cheap fix. Fingers crossed!

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a little update on my progress. While my Fass pump is out getting repaired I started on modifying my downpipe to fit with the headers. I also welded a v-band clamp to the joint of the upper and lower downpipe since I always hate when you can't get the slip fit to come apart again.
Then tonight I began to make a bracket to mount the smaller gas washer/ overflow combo bottle behind the cold air intake. It actually fits in there quite well and I just need to extend a fender bracket a little and paint it to finish it off.
I also checked and my Fass pump should be back in my hands tomorrow night! That'll probably be my project for tomorrow night and fingers crossed this time the pump works as it should.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet build! I'm digging that engine paint too, Id like to see some video footage of her purring when you get all the bugs worked out.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to do the v-band clamp on my DP but found there wasn't enough room between the cab and engine.

I just used a but joint with a nice clamp. it can come apart easy if I need it to.