Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue...I DID clean up shop and now cant find a friggen thing....lmao

Ya pulled the trigger on stainless lines eh....give me a shout K

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So finally got the brakes all together. Wow that right side was mangled. The parking brake lever was really bent.

Anyway, here are the brake shoe links. These are close to the originals. The pin diameter is slightly larger but I think it will work. Here's the Napa part number. There is not a make model and year number I can find for them.

You must be registered for see images attach

So got the thing all together. Weapons of choice.

I don't know how you would put the hold down springs on without that spring tool. At least by yourself. Makes it much safer. Well worth the few bucks.

And done.

Interesting factoid. If you put this number in Google you find trailer brake kits that look identical to this entire setup baking plate and all.

Anybody confirm? I straightened the lever as best I can but the lever and pin were both bent a bit. I think it will be fine but I may need to find one. Worst case I'll pull one out of the other axle I have.

Now to strip the new old brake lines out, squirt a little paint on the drums and get the wheels back on so I can roll it around again. While I'm waiting on the lines, I guess I'll start putting the steering in which means changing the pitman arm which means cleaning and mounting the steering box. I can now string the parking brake cables too.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What pitman arm puller you using? I bought an OTC 8150 and it worked super. Even in the truck.

Looking great as always! Keep it up. Hell you lost a box of links I lost the turbo for my crewcab. I looked probably 3 hours for that damn thing. Almost ready to call cops cause I was sure I got broken into!

Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pitman arm puller that I used to pull the 1 ton arm. I hurt it a bit. I'm not sure if I'll try it first and then go trade it in or trade it in and try it. Supposed to have a life time warranty. Challenge accepted! It came from Advance. I put the impact gun on it working on the other pitman. I honestly don't know how you would pull it without the steering box hooked to something substantial. It was not a pleasant job. I may look into the one you listed. I think the one I have is a touch small.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With box removed tightem puller hard as can....with COUPLE BFH one against arm hit arm with other...never failed me yet....if does have hot wrench

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last one I tightened it up with the impact and gave it a little MAP torch love on just the arm. Few licks with hammer and it finally let go.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Last time I did one, it was like Al was saying. Just like tie rod ends, BFH one each side, penetrating lube and the puller.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So made a little progress.

Painted up the drums. Just a quick rattle can.

Parts!

I got half the shocks, box of relays, injector line clamps.

Installed front hubs. Here is the repair kit from bronco graveyard.

Here's what you get.

New snap rings inner and outer. New o-ring and bolts. Not sure if the bolts are stainless but I doubt it.

So I get the first hub in lightly lubed. Went to put the cap on and discovered a problem.

See it??

Yep. Damn.

After messing around a while and making a trip to depot at closing, I ended up with a solution. I had a set of speedyouts but I had broken the small one. So I had to buy a new set. Being a cap screw it was too hard for the extractor to drill so I went at it with the tap drill size bit to get a hole started then stuck the extractor to it.

Happy dance.

And the other side. Less eventful.

That's where we are. More cleanup and assembly tomorrow. I'll probably slap the axles back in and maybe get the rear diff ready for fluid.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to run these for now I think. They are 285's I think. I would like to go aluminum and I've got a couple guys watching for me a set. Probably go 17's instead. May go down to a 265. This thing is plenty tall as it is.

On a bright note, my new lines arrived so I'll report on them later!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it. They screwed up again. They only sent the lines that were wrong the first time. At least the ones I got are definitely stainless and definitely have the right size fittings but I'm just missing half or more of the set. Unbelievable. Once this is settled I will never deal with these morons again. I will either make my own or pay the extra to get them somewhere else. This is stupid. What a way to run a business.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear this but thanks for the heads up on crap service. It's something I have considered getting.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be posting this in the hall of shame here and any other forum I can think of. It's bad enough that I fell on my sword and took more than my part of the responsibility for the first set. This is inexcusable.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'm going to run these for now I think. They are 285's I think. I would like to go aluminum and I've got a couple guys watching for me a set. Probably go 17's instead. May go down to a 265. This thing is plenty tall as it is.
Good call, those seem to have quite a bit of life left.
Sorry to hear about the lines. The time lost is worse than the money lost it seems. Even if they make you half whole again, you cant get the time back and that's so frustrating.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Time is more precious than the money most of the time anymore. Not that money isn't an issue too but I can't buy time. The whole reason I bought lines instead of making them was to save time. Gee that worked out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online