laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Epoxy primer.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Check. Tailgate had a bent corner. Took a little work but I got it straightened out pretty well.

I’m not super proud of my body work but I’ve got another chance to work on it with the primer so I think it will be okay. I think I’m going to go pretty heavy on the primer and block some of the little imperfections.

Can anyone recommend a lint free towel to do wipe downs? The Kimberly Clark towels I have give you about 1 wipe before they start leaving crap. I tacked it off but you never get it all.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I heard good things about slick-sand from a veteran body man. never did try it though.

Can't really offer much guidance on the wipe downs either. I always used old cotton clothes for rags. One pass with solvent, then another with a dry rag. There wasn't usually any issue with lint, but I always blew down the surface with compressed air. I did not have to apply paint, however. Only primer.

Looking good, by the way.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to put this out there. The 2k regular build primer sprays great at 4:1:1 where the last one is reducer. Mystery solved. I knew the other products were too good for this stuff to be questionable. Tech sheet reads “may be reduced up to 25%”. It doesn’t say needs to be reduced. That works out to be around 15% if you are keeping track.

Last edited:

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very impressive build , once i'd seen this post and got over the length of a sum total so far of 176 pages :):) i started at the beginning and am up to page 29 ...... what happened to some of your pictures?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very impressive build , once i'd seen this post and got over the length of a sum total so far of 176 pages :):) i started at the beginning and am up to page 29 ...... what happened to some of your pictures?
Photobucket happened. It’s partially been salvaged. I have all the originals but going back and putting them in is a chore. Maybe some day.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, here we go.

My helper checking it out.

Rolled out into the sun light to block it out. 7 hrs later...

It’s all blocked out. I really am back on the fence on this 2k primer. Reducing it 4:1:1 helped. There were places where it was beautiful. There were also places it looked like an alligator. I’m more than happy to admit operator error but the pain it has caused is non-trivial. 7 hrs to block out a bed and tail gate seems excessive right??

Anyway, it’s done now. Going to try a different arrangement to have better light and more room where I need it.

It’s all been wiped down. Tomorrow, I’ll warm it up, set the booth up and tack everything off throughly. Then make it red.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say 7 hours is nothing.
I've been a believer in "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess it would depend on what grit paper you use for the amount of time it would take and how fast you can sand. also depends on how hard the primer gets when dried, some are easier to sand then others.

you dont want to go too coarse on paper because it will leave marks in the paint. so yeah it can take a while to block out a bed.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This primer sands fairly well. I blocked it in 400 because that’s what the base coat calls for. It’s really freaky because you. An definitely see the sanding marks. Even after the base is done. First coat of clear, they just disappear. I don’t know how many coats I put on the cab because I was scared to death. LOL

Did the fenders by the sheet and they look the same so clearly it’s not an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online