Project Big Red

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hate you west coast guys. No wonder you don’t hate life when you need to work on an old vehicle

I've seen lots of posts with people asking for help getting rusted stuck torsion bars out and you can tell the southerners because they say "nah they're not stuck, you just forgot to unhook something, mine fell right out" yeah... on a 30 year old truck. Only down south of the salt belt does that happen :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I gave it a good bath today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I stood it on its head. My lifting rig.

And up she goes. I’m getting better at this.

Pulled the heat shields and pressure washed the bottom.

I’d say greater than 95% of the original grey green primer and paint is still in tact. I think I’ll knock off the few areas of loose paint and epoxy prime it as best I can. Then spray frame protector everywhere I can’t get epoxy to and call it a day.

I’m cold and wet and calling it a day.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup..that's clean alright. Even the heat shields are still good.
The top side of the big heat shield had some surface rust. I’ve never taken one off in one piece so they are far better than anything I’ve ever owned.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I am late to the party. Nice score. I know we have bounced a few FB messages around about them. Don't fear not working with rusted metal... I can have my truck down to Laserjock Auto Body in about 25 minutes!

I have located a single stage paint I may run with. I'll start a thread and get the general opinion of everyone here. I really fear I am starting down that slippery slope we all know too well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am late to the party. Nice score. I know we have bounced a few FB messages around about them. Don't fear not working with rusted metal... I can have my truck down to Laserjock Auto Body in about 25 minutes!

I have located a single stage paint I may run with. I'll start a thread and get the general opinion of everyone here. I really fear I am starting down that slippery slope we all know too well.
Single stage paint is a double edged sword. The great thing about base and clear is you get multiple chances to fix your mistakes or multiple chances to make mistakes depending on your way of looking at things. LOL

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually wanted to do single stage on my truck, but my painter felt more comfortable with base/clear since I was set on two-tone.

It was never supposed to be this nice...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the sum total of my evening was reinstalling the antenna.

It pains me to drive screws through fresh paint.

I found a radio mount. Followed the directions and amazingly it fit.

I bought connectors. Didn’t have the mental fortitude to do the wiring tonight. Hopefully I’ll have the brain power to do that while I’m waiting for the epoxy primer to dry. That’s my plan for Saturday.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you finally gotten some decent spring temperatures out your way? We're supposed to make it to low 40s before getting an ice storm tonight....

I'm glad you take good pictures, I noticed that crease in the box tubing that lays on the frame on mine and thought someone bent it but it's on both sides on yours so it must be normal.