Project Big Red

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moved on to bumpers. Rear bumper is an LMC special. Emphasis on special. They (well whoever LMC buys them from) universal shell and weld different center sections in. There are no holes for the outboard braces so I guess if you get hit on the corner you're just screwed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hard to say for sure, but that looks and sounds a lot like the used bumper I found for my truck. It doesn't have corner braces either but I might try adding them later. Mine was originally chrome but started rusting long ago. It cleaned up nice with industrial enamel.

Other than the fitment issues, how do you like the new bumper? Good steel? Well made?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new bumper is just okay. I popped for the "premium chrome" (whatever that means). I was not happy that when they welded the adapter to the shell, the welds were totally unprotected and raw. Could have at least sprayed som rattle can something on them. That's what I did. I probably wouldn't tow with it but I put a brand new class V receiver on the truck so why would I. It will serve its main purpose which is to pass inspection and hold the license plate.

Here it is installed

Already had crap piled on it today. I ended up using the factory mounts and a couple stacks of 3/4 washers to make it all work. The washers are taking up the space between the inner part of the C channel brackets and the bumper. It's a little ghetto but it's as strong as anything I could have made and much simpler.

On to the front. I was on the fence about doing the OBS cutout mod to my brand new bumper, but here it is.

It pained me greatly to cut a hole in a brand new, never mounted bumper but I did it. Painted the area around the cut. I'm sure it will rust eventually but I like the end result.

And installed.

See the opening gives a lot more possible air flow to the radiator.

Some of you recommended welding the nuts onto the frame. Well, the stainless hardware kit I bought came with two serrated flange nuts. I wasn't sure at first what they were for. Well, turns out, they are for mounting the bumper. With the serrated nuts, you can tighten them one handed so welding wasn't necessary. Shout out to the wifey that helped me get it lined up without whacking the fenders. It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good. She helped me a bunch today. We joke that I need to borrow her ovaries to help me find stuff. Been a lot of that lately. LOL

I started marking the grill for clearance but I was too tired to start in on that tonight. I'll do that tomorrow followed by buttoning up the door panels and interior. Add some lug nuts. Finish tying up the wires and such underneath. Then maybe a real test drive.

I have to say it felt good to stick the plates on it. Been waiting since January 2013 to do that.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to spray this one as soon as I have time to do the rust repair. It's serviceable.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the OBS cutouts! Definitely looks good on the front of a bricknose! Look at the bright side at least you are farther along than my project, haha!

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a template for the OBS cutout mod? Or a writeup? Looks great and very functional with the addition of the IC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the first to do it. I used the plastic trim as the template. I still may have to tweak it. It's not quite right.

The one I remember was a blue and white two tone brick nose truck. GW buffalo or something like that I think was his handle. He may not have been the first either. Not sure.

I think it's a nice addition and functional. You won't see a lot of them either. Nice custom touch. Wish I didn't need the front plate holder but MD is a two plate state. [emoji53]

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something like that wouldn't be too bad of idea with my warm bumper, I think the later ones came with cut outs maybe I can come up with something at the junk yard for inspiration

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's effort was lot of little things. Drivers side is pretty much together.

So pissed, I didn't quite get the masking in far enough and there is a stripe of primer showing. [emoji35]

All the trim is in. Changed the steering wheel. Horn pad on. Horn works now I think. Hope it stays that way.

Got the dome light working with the door switches re-installed. The map lights don't work for some reason but I'm not worried about that right now.

I sand blasted and painted the lower part of the 4wd shifter.

Got the pass side door panel is on.

Working on finishing up the trim.

I also fixed the HVAC controls with the electric vacuum pump. After a first attempt that failed because some moron forgot to plug the connector back together under the dash... the pump ran and pumped down the system and shut off. Perfect.

Here's the white hose.

It was broke off right where it comes out. Pulled it out and clipped an inch off and pushed the new hose on. 7/64 vacuum hose. That also worked on the SD pump. Needed a reducing hose barb for the main line to the pump. That exciting. I can charge the AC now once I get the compressor swapped out.

I'm sure there was more but that's what I remember.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trucks lookin really slick Mike, keep it up! that bumper is brilliant. love it.
cali is a 2 state plate too, but im a 1 finger salute kinda guy.
give me a fix it ticket, ill glue a magnet on it, get it signed off, and then put it back in the truck:D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. Stuff happening.

Weight dist hitch arrives tomorrow. Probably don't need WD but it should make everything handle a lot nicer.

Windshield replacement is scheduled for Friday.

Wheels are scheduled for Thursday earliest now. [emoji35]

In the mean time I finished out putting the trim in. All but the visors and front piece and a few random screws that are on the way.

I turned to the front. Grill got trimmed to fit.

It's not perfect but my baby finally got her face back.

This makes me smile.
[emoji2]

In other news, my plan with grills and emblems failed miserably. Turns out the emblems on the black grills are not the same are the ones on the chrome grills. Here's why.

These are both ford grills. Not aftermarket.

Notice the shape of the emblem spot. The black one sticks out. The chrome emblem is thicker and shaped different hence not interchangeable. So I polished the original up a bit and stuck it on. I love mother's mag and aluminum polish. It works good on all metals and most plastics too.

Swapped the GP controller for the original that was in this truck. It's an international controller.

Modded the cover. It works just like it should now. Turn the key, WTS light comes on. All is good.

I may be closing on a trailer tomorrow. At the rate I'm going the first 100 miles may be with the trailer hitched up. LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Amazing work! You are plowing down this home stretch!

Even if the WD hitch is not needed it really helps the handling overall.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online