Project Big Red

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your kind of at that point where your going to hate a lot of things because it all just needs to get done.

except maybe when you go for the first complete drive then its worth it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.

So I worked at putting the AC together last night. Looks like all the hoses will fit. Stuck the red orifice tube in.

You must be registered for see images attach

All bumper brackets liberated after a bit of grinding. Need some fresh abrasive in the cabinet to clean them up.

Put the cowl on. Plugged in the wiper motor. It runs but sounds horrible. New one coming. Delay doesn't work. No shock there.

Working on putting dash back together.

Got the driver A pilar trim sorta installed.

Wires tucked up in the drivers side kick panel. No kick panel yet.

Insurance cards received. Need to get tags now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many hours of sandblasting later...

2 coats of catalyzed enamel.

In the mean time trying to get everything else ready for bumpers. Actually unpacked the new bumpers. They've been sitting in boxes on the porch for a couple years now.

Other than the fact they didn't bother to paint the welds on the rear bumper when they welded in the mount (they weld in different mounts to the same shell for different trucks) I think they are decent for aftermarket.

I drilled some holes in the bracket for the IC.

Gotta save weight where I can right?

LOL

Well actually hoping for better air flow but it's a good story right?

MVA tomorrow for tags. Need to call and get an eta on my wheels.

Still a lot to do but getting there. Once the bumpers are on and I trade out the steering wheel, I think about the only inspection items left will be a windshield and figuring out why the RABS light is on.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saved your intercooler photo for future ref!
She's lookin good!
Regarding that heavy front bumper. To facilitate easier install, adjustment, and keep it from sagging after initial install. I welded the nuts to inside of frame rail which eliminates the need to "hold" with wrench in that difficult place to access. Bolts are on outside within easy reach.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need to throw some tape on the fender corners so the bumper doesn't accidently hit them during install. Oh and an engine lift can be great for bumper install. You know all this. Just reminding. Sometimes in the heat of battler I know I don't thinker real well.

Looking Great as always. Hope you're state inspection stuff goes well. We don't do that in Iowa but looking at some of the stuff on the road we should.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I agree with catbird on welding the nuts. I know when I got my truck back from the body shop the shop zip tied some pieces together so you could start the bolts. A couple of quick tac welds should make life easier.

Good luck on the inspection. I don't know how it is down there but PA is a real ******!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting close Mike. Just keep plugging along. Will be camping at the rally spot this weekend. Won't be too long and you'll be there too... relaxing and enjoying the fruits of all this labor.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front air dam on.

Headlights re-installed after I realized I had done it all out of order. [emoji849]

I finally came up with a shooting solution for the cab lights.

#14 oval sheetmetal screws 1" long. Drill the light mount holes (in the plastic of the light) out to 1/4 (incidentally # 14 screws are 1/4"...I didn't know that).

Moved on to bumpers. Rear bumper is an LMC special. Emphasis on special. They (well whoever LMC buys them from) universal shell and weld different center sections in. There are no holes for the outboard braces so I guess if you get hit on the corner you're just screwed. But it's straight and cleaner than what I have so I'll take it for now. It was just a few bucks more to get the extra lights so I did. Got it and the liscence plate lights wired up. I snipped the ford bulb holders off the harness with a bit of a pig tail of course and then soldered and loomed it all up.

Great. Went to install it... ***???? So it turns out the stock bumper brackets are NOT a direct fit. The inner structure of this bumper is ~36.25". The factory is like 34.5". So when you bolt the brackets in place as they would be, they end up like 3" too wide. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji21][emoji21][emoji21][emoji21][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

Why does everything have to be difficult. Made a mad dash to Home Depot to grab some metal thinking I was going to have to make something. I wasn't happy with what I found so I bolted the brackets to the truck to get some measurements.

I may have a solution using the original brackets but backwards. Need some more washers to mock it up but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm hoping to be driving by tomorrow evening. May even go get ice cream. List is shrinking. Still a lot of little things but hopefully she will come together quick now. Need to check on my wheels and tires too.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking great. I'm sure your bummed that the bed will stick out like a sore thumb compared to the cab.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm going to try to get it done but at this point shake down miles are more important.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This truck has never been on the road since I brought it home. I have only had it around the yard and parking lot. Couple times around the culdesec. I need to drive it and check fluids etc. It's all completely new to me.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Yes, the break in miles are important. I have tested my poor wifey multiple times in last minute major repairs. I have been lucky and not had anything major happen but have had some hiccups. I got some dirty looks when the truck kept surging from air in the system fully loaded with kids and gear heading down to the outer banks one time. Of coarse the night before was probably not the best time to replace my injectors and fuel lines.

I really try not to give her more grey hairs anymore and give some testing time lol.

Now I need to get back to work on mine!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk