Project: asmith

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian, I ran into this issue with the sheet steel stampings under the rockers touching the tops of the studs when I was reinstalling the heads on my truck last year.

Here is the comment I posted in by build thread about this:

And here is another question! I have installed the ARP studs, and the bottom of the lip on sheet metal stamping under the rocker assembly is sitting directly on top of most of the studs! Is this okay, or is there something wrong here? On a few of the studs there is just a little space between the top of the stud and the stamping, but most are right on top of the stud. Now I cleaned the head bolt hole threads and then chased them with the ARP thread chaser (not a tap) and then installed the studs "hand-tight" per ARP's instructions. Those studs are not going to go any deeper into the block. Has anybody run into this, or am I concerned over nothing? Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

When I posed the above question to the Oilburners collective, no one replied to it, so assumed that no one had ever run into this before. In my case, the rockers were all torqued down to spec. and the stampings were then just barely touching the studs (and there were some that actually had very small space between) so I went ahead and buttoned everything up and it has been fine for almost a year now. I probably should have called Justin at R & D as that is where I got the studs from. So you are now the second person I know of who has had this experience, although yours seem to have much more interference. The studs Justin sells are not the "7.3 IDI Kit" that ARP sells. Justin sends you 34 studs, nuts and washers in a ziplock bag and you don't get any ARP lube with them. I assume he buys the studs in bulk form ARP and that is how he can sell them cheaper than anyone else.​

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin has now started stocking the 6.5" studs.
this one is on the extreme, and I couldn't bolt the rocker down without destroying that stamped steel piece.
ive put a few of these together, and this was completely incorrect.
the 6.5's are the ones that showed up today, ill be swappin them out on Friday!
should go smooth as silk now

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose this also is dependent on how deep the head bolt holes in the block were drilled and tapped at the factory. I would imagine this hole depth would be a slightly "looser" tolerance, so maybe some blocks had shallower holes than others.:dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
studs swapped, and engine put together.
missing a few pieces to finish it up.
may get it on the run stand tomorrow.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the stud length issue sorted out! This is definitely something to be aware of for anyone that is installing studs on these motors.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a little bit of truck ****. fuel line and finalize turbo, and 1/2 ass install the air to water intercooler to mock it up, then itll be ready to get in the run stand.
got a powerstroke in the stand right now that needs to be taken into the shop, may do that tomorrow.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate waiting for parts.
one day I will have a shelf that contains all the parts ill ever need.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think inlet and outlet are also mixed up, not that it makes a difference

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, I had to move some stuff around, ill have to cut 1 tube, and dimple 2 sides, no big problem

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What pump are you using? And are you going to use a tank to make the water capacity larger?

Diggin the progress;Sweet