Probably covered a million times, but . . .?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding that, it would seem important that somewhat normal timing should reside at or near the scribe. To my thinking, if I needed to rotate the pump 3/16ths of an inch, on its small diameter, just to get it to run decently off the turbo, that would translate to several teeth on the timing gear.

From experience, does anyone know what might be considered a normal separation of the scribed lines when an engine is at 9.5° advanced? And does anyone know if it is okay to go ahead and relocate the "Y"s on the gears a few teeth apart in order to hit 9.5° when the scribe lines are somewhat lined up, so that the injector lines aren't all torqued up from racking the pump so far?
there is no precision in where the scribe marks are placed. every motor is unique. if you want precision, you must get the truck dynamically timed. you can do it yourself, just do a search for "timing meter rental"

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How...first off did you swap pumps? By removing IP from the gear cover.....or by removing IP with gear cover.....it makes a big difference...

If with gear cover it likely is off a tooth or two. However it may have been anyway if you removed from gear cover as you dont know the history of said engine and it could have been off prior.

What makes you think the USED IP you installed is any better than the used one you took off?

Perhaps the used IP you installed is no better or worse than one that was on truck.

Search on timing as I knkw there are TECH 101 on it...search because this topic is covered plenty aleady.

JM7.ECW Eh!