• yank my drive train and stab into nice truck

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • rob and patch the necessary panels

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the cab swap, then you technically have a different truck (different VIN). Now your insurance and tags won't be good any longer since the will be for a "different" truck. Think about this as well.
That is a most excellent tip! I've never even thought about that part...not that I'm doing a cab swap. But it never occurred to me, and would be a very unpleasant surprise in the event of an accident to find out your vehicle is no longer covered!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's why I brought it up. I just wanted to throw it out since a lot of people may not think about it.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
I am familiar with the Titling as it relates to this project but it is good to mention for others who may not have been aware.

Looks like dash swap would be involved but at this point the most fitting truck for my friends swap came in cheap with a bit of damage to the cab - and not worth doing all this work for another damaged cab. I will keep my eyes peeled for a proper replacement cab.

It may come down to just doing the body work though. It isnt as much physical labor to do, but it is a lot of effort still. Thanks all for your input!

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
OK so I am going to keep everything that mounts to, or is forwards of, the firewall in my truck and not try to mess with all that is involved with swapping dash/column/cores between years. But, the rear half of my cab is toast - from the rear windows back. This is an Extra Cab. Any of you guys know if there are any dimensional differences between the body of a brick and the OBS? For instance - if I were to slice both truck open from behind the door jamb would they be a direct swap? I dont care about interior really, and the work my truck needs would decidedly be more effort to repair than to replace with this splice. I have seen photos of those 6 door builds, and the 4 door with extra cab backs.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
@towcat I recall you making a comment once before, on an old thread somewhere, about the cab structure between the brick and OBS being too different to make a swap like this go smoothly - any pics/info/suggestions? When you said cab structure I took that to mean you are referring to the structural sheet metal within the cab walls and not the external/visible parts is that correct?

@IDIoit You have a lot of experience with having done the dash swaps - do you have as much intimate hands on experience with the rest of the cab? I am already using excursion front bucket seats and the back seat is useless to me anyways so interior changes matter none. And seeing as how I dont need anything changed on/at/forward of the dash and really need all the rear of my cab replaced/repaired - anything you see stopping this from going smoothly?

If splicing the entire back half is not going to line up properly the best case is cutting out sections of the external sheet metal that I need and splicing them in. I know the extra cab side windows are different from brick to OBS, not too worried about that, but it looked to me like the rest of the body is identical. Was planning to get with my friend and poke around insides more this weekend but forecast for storms put that on hold for another week.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@towcat I recall you making a comment once before, on an old thread somewhere, about the cab structure between the brick and OBS being too different to make a swap like this go smoothly - any pics/info/suggestions? When you said cab structure I took that to mean you are referring to the structural sheet metal within the cab walls and not the external/visible parts is that correct?

If splicing the entire back half is not going to line up properly the best case is cutting out sections of the external sheet metal that I need and splicing them in. I know the extra cab side windows are different from brick to OBS, not too worried about that, but it looked to me like the rest of the body is identical. Was planning to get with my friend and poke around insides more this weekend but forecast for storms put that on hold for another week.
the internal cab structure of the OBS truck was redesigned by Ford to support the addition of airbags. can the conversion be done? well.....Idiot has done it. He's also very good at building stuff too. Can the average person do it? prolly not as well as he did. I've seen the results of the work of an average person and it was pretty obvious the work was hacked. I'd see about finding a OBS cab in better shape and run with it from there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you look at the body seams and see how they welded stamped steel pieces together to create a cab,
in time it will become very clear that these trucks are nothing more than a mans version of a 3-d jig saw puzzle.
this is a 96 cab, 86 bronco, a variety of doors all pieced together
its not done yet, but to me, they are simple.

You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you look at the body seams and see how they welded stamped steel pieces together to create a cab,
in time it will become very clear that these trucks are nothing more than a mans version of a 3-d jig saw puzzle.
this is a 96 cab, 86 bronco, a variety of doors all pieced together
its not done yet, but to me, they are simple.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mad skills!
If I had the money, I'd be begging you to build one for me...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mad skills!
If I had the money, I'd be begging you to build one for me...
its really not skill. just experience.
but you too can do this... all you need is the will.
ive posted up everything ive done to extend these trucks from 80-01...
there truly is no secret to it once you get off your ass :D

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its really not skill. just experience.
but you too can do this... all you need is the will.
ive posted up everything ive done to extend these trucks from 80-01...
there truly is no secret to it once you get off your ass :D

Having a properly outfitted and equipped shop is of course a prerequisite...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wish i was properly fitted... lol
my main tools on these jobs are a drill, a cut off wheel, a 220 welder, a sawzaw, and a ratchet strap

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
I will not be messing with the sheet steel immediately around my doors, or adding doors unless a CC drops in my lap for cheap, so I really dont see how this can be too difficult after seeing the images I have both here and elsewhere. When comparing this to some of the crazy sheet fab and skin grafting stuff I have done for customers - this looks like a cake walk! My concern was actual dimensional changes - was I having an optical delusion that they are the same but actually do not use the same exterior sheet pattern. I am not asking all this because I couldn't fab something up to work and look right, but mostly because I have time constraints. I am also VERY much _Function over form_ so at the end of the year if I can repair this cab and people think its ugly well thats ok because I really dont care what it looks like (evidenced by how it looks currently) as long as it keeps workin as hard as it does!

I have been workin up a spreadsheet of all the pieces/parts I need/want to install during this process and the tasking I want to accomplish this winter looks very doable. The major concern I have is the paint procedure. I am still researching that part of it but definitely will not be doing multi-stage automotive type paint. As this is a flatbed welders truck that serves as a mobile fab table, materials hauler and general purpose ranch work truck something durable is key as is something I can spray myself with minimal additional steps. Was thinking tractor/implement paint but I have been reading the alkyd enamels sold for this purpose these days tend to "chalk up" from poor UV stability.

I agree that people should all take credit where credit is due but for someone with the abilities, willpower and determination - it really does become just "another day of fun and games". Things do become easy to make happen when you put the effort in the right place. Experience goes a long way and it is sometimes better to know what NOT to do that will keep you out of trouble. I look forward to finally having a rust free cab that is sealed and doesn't smell like a boat anymore! I am also looking forward to actually being able to defrost my windows instead of having higher humidity inside my cab than than outside, while its foggy out :p

Thanks again to all who have given input. I will do my best to photo/video document this process but with most of my major projects I get so wrapped up in the game that next thing I know I am done and have just a few time lapse vids of me. Remembering to charge the camera helps....