POWER STROKE INTER-COOLERS

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a big PowerStroke intercooler in a 80 - 86 body-style Ford truck ??

I am going to attempt it and would like to know how best to go about it.

Thanks.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can read the thread called Lets talk intercoolers started by Rob, towcat posted lost of pics and info with different model year ford trucks, intercoolers and turbos (maybe not Your case but the year trucks yes). I'm in the process of installing a 05 psd intercooler on My truck. I just need to come with a neat idea to clear the a/c cooler and rad. Will post pics later ;Really when it is done.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If push comes to shove, I will hang the intercooler out front, outside of the grille, and fabricate a custom grille to hide it.

I have a big :backoff cow-catcher-grille-guard-bumper :backoff that I can build a grille into and still look pretty good.

This way, none of the A/C, or radiator, mounts get re-arranged.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You mean the 1st gen. Cummins isn't intercooled from the factory?

Not until 91.5 and on.

Midnightrider, that is exactly what I'm doing so I can put the IC lower enough to clear most of the rad and a/c cooler. Now I still need to come up with an idea on how to make a good looking grill is not modifying the existing one.

There are a couple of pics on My sig link that show My front bumper modified to give Me enough space to fit the IC in the very front.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, we miss seeing you at the events. You've obviously been very busy with your truck, and have several mods I'd like to get an eyeball on. Where is the rest of the IC pics?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel, the new responsibilities are eating Me alive ($$$$ -cuss ) but We plan to be ready for vacations soon I hope, We miss You all too. We wanted to go to the last rally (I really needed that) but it just wasn't going to happen.

The IC is not finished yet, I have a good idea of what I want to do and the modification I'll make to have it finished and looking good.

Does anyone know where can I take the the plastic grill from My truck to have it chromed?

Thank You.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I don't think you can have plastic chromed. You can get Chrome paint however. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can chrome plastic but it looks wierd. The 92-94 grilles were chrome plated plastic. It possible and can you guys point me to the link about the intercoolers. Cant seem to find it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I'm no expert, but I don't think you can have plastic chromed. You can get Chrome paint however. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup you can.;Sweet

Here's a little blip from Chrome Services in Orange, CA

Custom Chrome Plastic

Many People think it’s impossible to chrome plastic, it is not. The process of chrome plating over plastic is actually a process called vacuum metalizing and it is different than electroplating or chrome plating. Vacuum metallizing is process used to make flash light reflectors and automotive lighting shine like chrome. Vacuum metallizing is the process of evaporating aluminum in a vacuum chamber forming an aluminum cloud which than condenses back on and bonds to the plastic to form a uniform layer, which shines like chrome. After the metalizing takes place there is a protective topcoat applied similar to the ones used in the automotive industry. You can also add dyes to the topcoat to achieve bright chrome colors and different shades of gold, bronze, copper, and gunmetal. It is much more environmentally friendly and cost effective than chrome plating or chrome painting. You can vacuum metalize many materials including plastic, metal, glass, fiberglass, and more.

Here's the vacuum process.

Vacuum Metalizing is the process of evaporating metals (most commonly aluminum) inside a vacuum chamber to achieve a thin uniform metalized layer. Thermal evaporation otherwise known, as vacuum metalizing, is the most common PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) process used to apply metal alloys under vacuum. Vacuum metalizing has many uses including; EMI/RFI shielding, decorative metallic and chrome like finishes, highly reflective coatings, heat shielding, vapor barriers, and many more.

Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
EZ, I put a tube grill on my '90 a few year ago. Last year I mounted a IC off a '99 PS out front of rad & AC. I rebuilt some brackets & spaced the tube grill out 1"-1 1/2" IIRC. Then I spaced the thingie....whatever it's called....the tin work piece across front down under grill & under headlites & wraps round to & screws/bolts to fenders. I spaced this piece out 1". I used some black hard plastic polyurothane stuff I found & wittled, filed, sawed, sanded, etc till I had it shape fit to go between the fender & the tin "thingie"....turned out looking pretty good. if I say so myself:D
I didn't have to drop or space the sway/torsion rods any. & I didn't have to remodify the hood latch either.
I built some mounts for the IC & cut holes down, on each side of the radiator, sorta like in the link "Let's Talk IC"
The IC sits about nearly 2" out in front of AC, behind tube grill.

I have my IC inlet & outlet plugged because I still haven't run IC tubings & got them hooked up yet....mostly waiting till I can fab hook-up to "soupbowl" inlet.

Lord help the folks here in Central Oregon when I get it done....they already think I'm nuts now!!!:rotflmao :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I stand corrected. Well sort of. I figured there was a way to make plastic chrome (like on the grill of our 93'), but I figured it wasn't "chrome plating". Turns out it's alluminum plating. LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I wont modify the hood latch either, that is why I pushed the bumper forward just enough to make the 3.5" IC fit. I don't know about the grill yet, I'm thinking that it is better to keep it close to the stock look but that is bc I haven't come along a good substitute.

What about this tubing grill, do You have any pics?

Ron, ;Sweet excellent .

Thank You.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ttman, if you come to fordguys gtg I can hook you up with some ps tubes to help with the fabbing part. I got some for 10 clams a piece and they had one factory hose on them!! yay

FordGuy100

Reaction score
ttman, if you come to fordguys gtg I can hook you up with some ps tubes to help with the fabbing part. I got some for 10 clams a piece and they had one factory hose on them!! yay

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Ttman I'm throwing a little get together August 4th for us IDI'ers, your welcome to come if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08