1999 power stroke engine swap options.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D466's are alot bigger than what you may be thinking. Here is a couple of pictures of a B model (Mechanical, P-Pumped DT-466) sitting on a skid at work right now. They are all of 48" long from end to end. You may be better off trying to find an Allison or 10 spd Road Ranger to fit the SAE bellhousing on the Legend, and adapting the transfer case to that, than trying to adapt the Ford tranny.

That said, Good Luck, and I hope you pull the swap off. The DT-466 is one of, if not the best Medium Duty engines ever designed, and the power potential (and reliability) is orders of magnitude higher than an IDI. There is a reason that it is simply known as "The Legend" in the diesel world. Besides, if that goof-ball You-Tuber up in Ontario can successfully stuff a 3126 CAT into a '96, than a DT466 ought to be do-able.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
D466's are alot bigger than what you may be thinking. Here is a couple of pictures of a B model (Mechanical, P-Pumped DT-466) sitting on a skid at work right now. They are all of 48" long from end to end. You may be better off trying to find an Allison or 10 spd Road Ranger to fit the SAE bellhousing on the Legend, and adapting the transfer case to that, than trying to adapt the Ford tranny.

That said, Good Luck, and I hope you pull the swap off. The DT-466 is one of, if not the best Medium Duty engines ever designed, and the power potential (and reliability) is orders of magnitude higher than an IDI. There is a reason that it is simply known as "The Legend" in the diesel world. Besides, if that goof-ball You-Tuber up in Ontario can successfully stuff a 3126 CAT into a '96, than a DT466 ought to be do-able.

I certainly don't underestimate the size of a dt466. But that's one of the reasons I want to do this. I realize a big ole dog house will be needed, and I'm gonna lift the body 3" for other reasons.
My only real concern is the HVAC when all said and done. Everything else will mostly be fabrication and measurements the best I can tell.
I have to imagine deboss' 3126 was tight in an obs platform. At least the super duty has more room, but I definitely won't take that for granted, because I'll need every bit of it.
I have plans of making a weld rig out of this truck, so that's one of the reasons I'm going all or nothing, lol

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I love these threads, what was wrong with the original engine? Just curious.
That's the worst part, nothing. Lol
I actually decided on an engine, in fact I picked up one.

I wanted a dt, but this was too good of a deal to pass up on.
Besides, I came to the realization that I need this back together sooner than later, so maybe not the best time for experimenting.
Down the road, I will mess with dts some more when I can.
It will still be a one of kind rig when it's done, but due to my work changing, I won't have quite as much time to dedicate to it.
I've started a thread in the conversion section.

Rock

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Love it, gutted a working pickup to cobble it together lol
Well, let me put it this way. The engine was fine, the transmission needed sychros, a clutch , and I had a lot of rust repair to work on. So it was due for work anyhow. It's funny though, it all started with removing the rear doors to fix rust, next thing you know, I'm here,lol
It's all been a blur.....
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I have to improve things before putting them back together....for better or worse I guess.

Rock

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you using for a work truck in the interim? Course, with it being winter, work has prolly slowed some.

I'll jump over to conversions and check out your progress.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
What are you using for a work truck in the interim? Course, with it being winter, work has prolly slowed some.

I'll jump over to conversions and check out your progress.
Unfortunately a hemi.....
I'm not doing too much heavy towing this time of year though, so it could be worse. I do need the f350 back by early summer the latest, if not I may get something cheap to use temporarily, since I don't want to cut corners on the build.

Rock

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly feel that sitting the engine back in a dog house will solve a lot of potential problems.
This is obviously turning into a long term project at this point, but hey.... it's all or nothing,lol
I'm tired of seeing Cummins swaps, and as much as I'd like an IDI, I may as well swap in a inline motor at this point.

Id say a dt360 since the same size as a 12v and you can get a adaptor for one

adaptor

Thanks, but no.
I want a mechanical truck, and I need the super duty platform, so it's a two-fer

You trying to be more needy than me?:rotflmao

And way do you need a fat SD over a 80s dodge d300 thats ment to fit a cummins?

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Id say a dt360 since the same size as a 12v and you can get a adaptor for one

adaptor

You trying to be more needed than me?:rotflmao

And way do you need a fat SD over a 80s dodge d300 thats ment to fit a cummins?
I would've liked the dt route, but this 12v came up for a great deal, the adapter is on the way.

I think needy is the word,lol...when knee deep like this I can use all the help I can get, but I'm a one man show anyway, like a lot of us. Just figure things out as I go.

The fat SD is twice the truck of any pre 90s truck, especially the body when compared to a dodge.
I ain't spending no 20k for a first gen, when I can have modern capabilities for half of that.

Rock