Porting idi heads

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@chillman88 is spot on.
Adding to it.
Most diesels when rolling coal are actually about 18:1 afr, with normal driving in the 25-40:1 ratio, and can run as lean as 400:1
The leaner the better fuel eco
But with that 400:1 there goes all your acceleration, and isn't that half the fun, racing from stop light to stop light?
Yes I'm being sarcastic, rolling coal is just a lazy way of going fast at the cost of lots of money. Sadly I got stuck behind someone in an idi yesterday who was rolling mad coal, just to red light hop. Gives us all a bad name.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rolling Coal is stupid and I agree it makes it bad for the rest of us. Pizzez me of when some joker blows smoke on me and I can`t see the hwy in front of me.

mentioning cutting the fuel back on a Diesel, reminds me one time when going from Ca to Ut back i the 90`s.
We were driving the Datsun 720 with the Nissan SD-22 Diesel engine.
The factory fuel shut off was a little motor that moved a wheel to move a rod to cut the fuel lever on the Bosch Kiki IP.
it eventually pooped out, so I rigged up a Choke cable to cut the fuel.

We were cruisin around 70mph and I was playing with cutting the fuel back to where I felt the engine start to
lose power. Any little rise in elevation, had to bump the fuel a bit.
Now the EPA fuel rating was 33 city and 39 Hwy.
I got 46MPG out of that one tank. Blew me away.
never hurt the engine as far as I could tell.

Did lose #2 cyl back in 2014 some where in Oregon on our way back to Santa Cruz, with 400 and something K Miles on it and it still ran ok. :peelout

Goat

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rolling Coal is stupid and I agree it makes it bad for the rest of us. Pizzez me of when some joker blows smoke on me and I can`t see the hwy in front of me.

mentioning cutting the fuel back on a Diesel, reminds me one time when going from Ca to Ut back i the 90`s.
We were driving the Datsun 720 with the Nissan SD-22 Diesel engine.
The factory fuel shut off was a little motor that moved a wheel to move a rod to cut the fuel lever on the Bosch Kiki IP.
it eventually pooped out, so I rigged up a Choke cable to cut the fuel.

We were cruisin around 70mph and I was playing with cutting the fuel back to where I felt the engine start to
lose power. Any little rise in elevation, had to bump the fuel a bit.
Now the EPA fuel rating was 33 city and 39 Hwy.
I got 46MPG out of that one tank. Blew me away.
never hurt the engine as far as I could tell.

Did lose #2 cyl back in 2014 some where in Oregon on our way back to Santa Cruz, with 400 and something K Miles on it and it still ran ok. :peelout

Goat
I love 720s I’ve had a bunch of them over the years, my last one is getting sold in a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online