Please educate me on V Bands

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to install a v-band clamp connection on the 3" downpipe for my 093 ATS turbo. I don't know what to order. The only ones I have played with were on a dt466 and a 4 cylinder john deere diesel. Both of those had 2 flanges that touched each other then you put the v clamp around them and tightened the nut. Looking online to order some I have found options that I have no idea what they mean.

1. Male & female vs flat? What are they talking about?
2. Stainless vs mild steel. ( I'm guessing I want mild steel so I can weld them on to the mild steel downpipe? )
3. Quick disconnect. I think they mean the clamp that you snap down then fully tighten the nut?

Thank you everyone.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the 3" v-band mod on my stock turbo setup, I got the SS male and female kit, some Ebay deal. It comes with a nylock nut for the clamp, ***?!? That peice of junk needs to be upgraded to two jamb nuts, or an all-steel steel locking nuts.

1. They have pairs of bands, one male and one female. This let's them settle together making it much easier to get the clamp on. Flat would work with flat or female, AFAIK, but not male.
There is a small ridge running around the inter face on the male one and a corresponding detent on the female one.

2. Stainless is harder and obviously wont rust. It can be welded just as easily as mild, especially with SS rod(or wire, whatever you have). I find SS rod very easy to use and really like using it so that's what I did for my down pipe.
You can also weld the SS band with any mild steel welding process, it just wont be stainless at the weld.

3. Not sure about that but it sounds right. It's not a big deal as you wont be disconnecting that very often but whatever works for ya!

Happy wrenching!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measuring to get the right one is the hard part. I think they are like trade sizes (think pipe thread). Best thing to do is go hit up a company that sells them that has the measurements. Figure out what you need then but the whole thing, both halves and the clamp all at once so at least you know all the parts work together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online