Picked up another one...

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I went antiquing today and brought home a 1986 F250 6.9 4 spd 4x4. For $500. I couldn't not buy it. Getting it home was a bit of an adventure too. It got to +2C today, so it was nice out, but it was a little bit melty. Anyway, I hit an ice patch on the road and put both in the ditch. It was a slow motion thing. My truck getting more sideways and the whole works sliding off the road. As soon as the '86's wheel caught the ditch, there it wanted to go. I tried a controlled entry into the ditch, but the wheels still wanted to go left.
So we stopped. Got out assess the situation. My BIL Rick got into the truck and straightened the wheel. I then backed it up a few feet, and then headed back up to the road. Rick helped steer it out of the ditch. Then it was back to regular programming. Good thing it was on a back route. No one got hurt and nothing damaged. Sorry, both Rick and I forgot to take pictures. Maybe tomorrow I will take some pics of the tracks in the ditch...but it just isn't the same.

Anyway...here's the pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

It came with some extra's...

You can see the snow on the front of the truck from the ditch. :)

89_IDI

Reaction score
Damn. That's a hell of a deal. Actually, the same price I paid for my non-running 7.3 idi. Do you plan on getting it running or using it for parts?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love those finds! not bad! but you forgot a vital pic, like under the hood!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice deal you have there. Sure was a fun ride home too. Glad nobody got hurt or any damage. Tell us what you plan for this.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Vital pics

Here are the vital pics:

It's pretty much the standard dirty oily mess that many associate IDI with. :D

It is wired up for group 31 batteries...I'm not sure if that is a pro or con at this point.

Sure glad I got it yesterday; winter has returned with a vengeance -17C right now with a 23 km/h wind. You can see the snow on the engine. It accumulated in the time it took me to open the hood and whip out the camera. :p

The next steps are to pull the engine and transmission and tear them down and assess what I got. The PO said it had a bad oil leak, so it will need to be resealed. He also figured the transmission needed an input or output bearing. Also, when I pulled the rad cap off I didn't see any coolant. :( The PO says it could be a blown head gasket, eh? :rolleyes: A blown head gasket is really not a problem since I am planning to tear the engine right down and check the rings and bearings, etc.

Good news is I got 16 new Beru glow plugs and all new rear brake parts and front calipers with the truck. ;Sweet

I think the PO was not really trying the sell the truck as much as find a good home for it.

Thanks for looking.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if it still has the tire iron and the long handle for the jack across the core support.....

Nice find.... I want to find a nice Slantnose one of these days. My favorite Ford bodystyle.......

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
That's my favorite right there, 80-86 Supercab. Only thing that sucks is they never put a D60 under them so it's always an axle swap. For $500 it's a steal. My Supercab I thought I got for a decent deal 8 years ago... Guy was asking $900, I offered $800, and he countered with $700. Maybe he needed to sharpen his pencil but I could negotiate like that all day! LOL

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Got it running!

The weather was really nice +9C and sunny, so I figured I would try and get the latest acquisition started. I put the charged up battery back in and hooked up the motor home start battery up with booster cables. Put the battery charger on too. I checked the FSS for click. No click. Check for voltage at the wire. No voltage. Jumpered the FSS to the battery. Click. :)

Check the CAS for click. No click. Jumper the CAS to the battery. Still no click. I guess the CAS is bad. Oh well, I have another IP top I can use. Hooked up the remote start button. Cranked it over to hopefully prime the IP. Tried a little spray of ether. No go. It must be too warm. Gave the starter a break and got after the glow plugs. The PO said it was eating glow plugs. He though it was because of the wiring done when the PO before him wired in a manual glow plug button. I figure it was because the stock 6.9 glow plug controller is hooped. :rolleyes:

I unhooked the GPC. Had to replace 6 Glow plugs. All Beru. Got the wife to crank the engine while I held the Schrader valve to see if it was getting fuel that far. Got fuel. :) Next step, bled the injectors. Jumpered the Cold Idle Solenoid to the battery. Disconnected the + terminal connector on the glow plug solenoid. Jumper the battery to the glow plug relay with my remote start button. Held the button for 12 sec. Quickly unhooked the remote starter from the GPC and connected it to the starter solenoid. Started cranking and it started sputtering and then came to life with cloud of black smoke. It's ALIVE!!! Ha Ha HA!!

At that point I figured I should video this. So below is the video of the second start. There wasn't whole lot of coolant in the engine so it warmed up pretty good.

I didn't even use the glow plugs for the second start.

http://youtu.be/eb7lB1NAQTs