permagrin enable

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
well just drove the idi for the first time since turning it into a project about a year ago. I repaired core support, body lift, redid the whole interior besides carpet (still looking for off road carpet made to fit), added an ats 093 turbo, coolant filter, and several other little things I have been wanting to do for a while.

first impression of the drive post turbo is DAMN. this thing hauls ass compared to na. I can only get about 5 to 7 lbs of boost hammering on it from dead go to 65 empty. I will have to check and see whether the wastegate is opening or what. I dont physically hear the wastgate like you would on a cummins but idk. I drilled the dimple out when I first got the turbo and I believe I actually left it longer than it was to begin with so it is probably opening, turbo spools pretty damn fast. when I slam throttle it immediately goes to 5lbs, shift to third and it immediately jumps to 5 again then creeps just a hair past that so I would say about 7 lbs, same sort of action in fourth and then when I shift to fifth im already at 65 or so.(4.10 gears, 265 tires). got a few things left to button up before I put it back on the road full time but just want to say that anybody on the fence about turbo GO FOR IT

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the compression ratio in these trucks, you don't need crazy boost numbers. I'm seeing low numbers too, but my truck does everything I ask of it and then some. plus an added bonus is I don't need to superglue an eyeball on the pyro.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yeah I will probably leave it be until I do some good towing, if I am not happy with it towing I will turn it up but I think around 10 or 12 is all I want. got a 600 mile round trip towing the toyota down and the vw back this next week so we will see how I like it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could turn it up a little or leave it alone and not be superglued to the gauges all the time. there's plenty or margin there. let's say you encounter a stiff headwind, your EGT's will go up due to having to fight driving into the wind. I have a IC and most I have seen is 900* on a 110* day going up a 7% grade loaded to gross. no trailer.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I really dont want to much more fuel, I dont have a haze at all at full boost, slight haze out of boost but not lugging, that is not the heaviest load I pull by far and I would like to leave some room for error because my dad doesnt believe in paying attention to gauges and since I borrow his stuff all of the time its only right to let him use the truck. I am going to leave boost where it is for now but might crank it to 10 or 12 later.