Painting factory rims what color?

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
So I found a really good deal on a second set of the steel factory rims for my 93 F250. I want to clean them up and take them before I put them on but I am kind of up in the air of what color I should do. Stick with the factory gray or do something different the truck in the spring will be painted a black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I roughed up the factory white E250 junkyard wheels I have and hit them with a few coats of Rustoleum hammered silver and some clear coat. I guess they look better than they did, but they still don't look like Alcoa's no matter how hard I squint...:rolleyes:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For wheels, I pretty much always like black.
Don't really like Shiney things anyways though.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wheels came from an 01 e350.they are 7x16 instead of my factory 6x16.my stock caps and rings went right on. Got me a wider tire that way.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wheels came from an 01 e350.they are 7x16 instead of my factory 6x16.my stock caps and rings went right on. Got me a wider tire that way.

I just found a set of four of those 7x16 wheel and want to find a fifth. I like the look so much better than the alloys I have now. The wheels on my '86 were black but I painted them the "grey" (technically called Argent) because they looked so good. Well I was going to post some comparo shots but I can't find one scanned with the stock wheels on it (it's had two different sets of alloys since 2001). It's funny how your tastes change over time. I'm still looking for one of the original '86 rear step bumper (it has a later chrome bumper from a fender bender years ago) and also an AM radio and matching XL faux wood bezel to replace the Kenwood setup and the bezel I hacked up to fit it decades ago.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, ive used all kinds of paints on engines, parts, and rims.
in my experience, and the best part of vatozone, they carry a "caliper" paint that holds up really really well.

i like black rims myself.
i also prefer a 17" rim....
i ran 16.5 steelies for a decade, and the swap over to 17" black matte alloys i like much much more.

16.5" alloys on the chero.

17" alloys on the F350

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:rotflmao

Sorry IDIoit... maybe take a pic on the sunny side? That pic reminds me of a wedding picture where you can only see a pair of eyeballs and smiling teeth.

Maybe Inno's questions should have been "does anyone have a color match to the Ford grey rims?" I would like to paint mine also (not black).

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I roughed up the factory white E250 junkyard wheels I have and hit them with a few coats of Rustoleum hammered silver and some clear coat. I guess they look better than they did, but they still don't look like Alcoa's no matter how hard I squint...:rolleyes:

You really need to take some BLACK spray on bedliner and coat those hubs. Makes them look NICE.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also got a set of wheels that were scrubbed, scuffed and painted argent by the PO. But I bought some of that Rustoleum Camo really dark green just to add a little color on my all black truck.

But I am also a FIRM believer on the "Rum Runner" look. Painted rims a nice black. Especially when you have a little wider set of tires. The look makes me feel like I have a back filled with jugs of 'shine (or my neighbors "Cherry Bounce").

And it all references another thread that talks about 151 Rum...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could put some of these on. Summit had them on sale awhile back for $135. Might still be the same price. They fit good, nice looking. That's my 92 rust free, S Carolina truck.

Attachments

• DVC01780.JPG
    DVC01780.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 35

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
That is awesome and I may actually do that in the summertime. I just picked these tires up the guys transmission went a month after getting these tires brand-new Michelin I believe LTX M/S. 10 ply on rims all four for $350. You always try to haggle little but I actually felt dirty trying to haggle on something like that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online