OZE350

jayel73

Reaction score
G'day everyone.

Cheers for all the available info on here, very very helpful.

I'm writing from Western Australia, it's a big state about the size of CA to WA to ID to AZ, and it's mostly a big desert sandpit.
Anyway, I had the pleasure of spending a couple of months last year driving around the USA. You guys got a fantastic place there, wish I could of stayed longer and seen it all!
Weapon of choice was an '87 N/A E350 with a 6.9 C6+GV and 3.55's in the diff, 180k or so on the clock.
I thought it was pretty sweet ride until I hit the Rockies. Mate, the shame in slow lane was pretty unbearable. Fair enough the pump wasn’t tuned for altitude, and it made across 1/2 a dozen times, and I never had any major dramas. Pretty solid really.
Regardless, I liked travelling by van so much I decided ship it out to Oz.
We get the pickups down here, but no vans... dunno why, this country is made for driving.
Anyway, I've been planning to freshen it up, fuel system, turbo... luckily there's nothing down here you could really call a mountain, and everywhere is pretty much sea level... but the extra performance would be good all the same.
I’m converting it to 4wd, with a dana 60 front, 271 transfer case, 35 inch tires.
Fully set up as an offroad home away from home I expect the weight to come in around 11 to 12k, which is what, about 4k more than the pickups?
I was curious how you guys with turbos, 3.55 axles and 35in tires find the acceleration between 65 and 80 mph?
See, we got no interstates down here and our highways have only two lanes, one each way. Most of our produce is trucked around the country on big road trains with up to 4 trailers travelling at 65, and overtaking as quick as possible is a big priority.
Current tranny, tire axle gears put me at about 2400rpm in 3rd at 65mph stretching out to about 80 at 3000rpm, seems to me just at the beginning of a sweet spot for power once turbo'd. And with the gv kicked on should settle down at 2000rpm to cruise at 70mph.
The other option I've been considering is an E4OD transplant + the GV and 4.55's in the axles.
That'd put me in the stock 4.10 and stock tires range. However, I'd be overtaking the road trains in OD, making the final drive ratio pretty much the same as the 3.55's, so I guess the acceleration through 65 to 80 would be much the same… I s’pose.

Being a van… probably looking at a slightly customised turbo… or the old hypermax kit.
Probably not such a bad pick anyway being non wastegated, and my need for high rpm power. Besides, I emailed banks and ats and nobody replied.
Max at hypermax did say it might be possible to fit the pulse van kit, if I was prepared to massage the doghouse a little. Sounds possible.
Anyone run the old hypermax, and then the pulse setup and have any opinions on the difference in performance?

Anyway, cheers

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

Thats pretty neat you had the van shipped down there, how much did that set you back if you dont mind me asking? Just curious LOL

There are van kits available, and I thought hypermax still made a van version of their pulse kit. Doghouse steel? If so, a Big F hammer (F = fill in the blank) is required. I'm sure you can get one to fit.

Freshening the fuel system is a good idea, new return lines, injectors, and IP. Dont know if IDI parts are readily available down there. If you want more power, a moose pump is a good choice. Contact Mel, username Agnem about them.

2000rpm cruise with the GV puts you right at the sweet spot. These motors tend to make the most hp/tq at the wheels in the 2000-2400rpm range. A non gated turbo will like RPM's above 2000, so I think you should be alright at that cruising RPM.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Welcome! ;Sweet

Nothing beats a fresh fuel system (IP, return lines, injectors and lift pump) and proper engine timing on these motors. After that is squared away I would just get whatever van turbo fits the budget. A healthy turbocharged IDI won't spend life in the slow lane unless its pulling a LOT of weight :D

Sounds like a fun project. You should head over to www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ and check out some of the custom camper vans there to get an idea of a 4x4 conversion. A Sportmobile IDI would be my dream rig!

Andrew

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It's probably a bit more than the $1200 per vehicle I was quoted to ship mine to Hawaii, and that's after you get it to the shipping yard.

jayel73

Reaction score
cheers mate,
yeah hypermax have got two kits for the vans.
The "original" without the twin pulse pipes, which they say is the only one that'll fit my year, '87.
They have a pulse set up which apparently fits the next years models... I didn't think there was a different body until '92 or something.
Anyhow, a little smashing and reshaping probably not too much hassle if the gain of the "pulse" is good for anything... quicker to boost, so they say.
Pretty sure I read a thread about the moose pump getting the non gated turbos spooling quicker, but kinda hard to keep track of the posts sometimes.
Maybe a moose with the fuel aneroid could be a go'er.

There's a few ways to ship down to Oz, generally West Coast USA, Longbeach is most direct to the East coast of Oz, Sydney or Melbourne. That'll set ya back about $2000 USD or AUD, it's pretty much the same value these days. Prices fluctuate a bit of course...
You'll need to pay import tax, duties, GST(another tax) bla, bla... it's about 10% of the total value of shipping plus the value of the goods, but, depending on your paperwork you can minimise that cost.
Containers get cheaper the bigger they are, so you could share or take two cars in a forty foot high cube, maybe more... fill up all the gaps and spaces with other crap to sell and it pretty much pays for itself.

Yeah, as for parts availability down here, it's pretty much non existent for ford idi diesels, and when it's not it's a total rip off.... There's a company down here selling a recon stock idi pump for $1995 !!! in USD that's $1965
check it out here, with some other rip off stuff

http://www.ftrucksaustralia.com/products.php?cat=13

Most the pickups came out here with the 351w donks, until the powerstroke 7.3.
So, yeah, I've been trying to figure out where's a good place to buy from in the States, for gp's, injectors, gaskets, filters, bla bla, general service stuff.
Be nice if there was a one stop internet shop.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow....:eek: Those prices are just plain crimminal. How can anybody charge over $300.00 for a dipstick and tube for a 302 gasser motor. And over $500.00 for a $40.00 water pump.... These trucks are not a rolls royce. I'm sure there are some members here that will help you out with "finding" parts way cheaper than that... Usually ebay has about the least expensive parts for sale but... I don't know if they will ship to you..... Also.. welcome to the friendlist ford idi forum on the net. We help because we can... And its free..... Makes a lot of us feel good...:sly

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Rockauto.com

Check it out. I heard about it probably a year ago, and I have bought many things from them. Really happy with their service and they were quick to ship. Pretty sure they do international shipping as well. They have the cheapest GP's from what I've found (For Beru plugs that is).

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, say you wanted to purchase a moose pump. Shipping from oz would be hell and let's not forget van down time. Maybe you could purchase a core from a yard listed here, http://car-part.com/index.htm and have it shipped to Mel.
Also you'll find that many merchants in the US are leery of doing business overseas due to higher risk of being burned out of the payment. Then of course the same can go for you if it's a less than reputable shop.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I think he knows that, but he spoke with Hypermax and understands a pulse is doable if he can modify the doghouse.

Welcome to OB! And congrats on being from Austrailia. We don't get many posters here from down under.

Two days ago I saw an IP that would move that Van. If you wanna get out of there, you talk to me. LOL (spoken in my best Mel Gibson). Loved all the Mad Max movies. I think most of what American's know about your country we learned from those 3 movies and Crocodile Dundee. My wife and I have it on our bucket list to visit your country. Hope to get there some day. I have the configuration your inquiring about in the Moose Truck, and it would certainly overtake your road trains in a quarter mile. This is provided of course that the guy on the top of the tanker doesn't try to shoot out your tires. :sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
is the requirement for RH drive still in place? and if so, how the heck to you convert your van? the doghouses are biased to the right side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please read the Hall of Shame forum before you buy anything from the enternet. There are some really terrible business people out ther. Several members have posted whats happened to them...

1994IDI

Reaction score
Welcome to OB. I love to see members from overseas. Good luck, I'll be watching, and hope to see many more posts from you.

jayel73

Reaction score
Ha ha, yep those films all have an element of truth of course, fighting over fuel, fishing with guns and tnt, eating steak with a 12" knife, riding kangaroos at the rodeo... just a normal day in Oz.
Pretty similar culture to you guys in lots of ways. Biggest differences arise from the nature of the land itself and the population size, which is only about 21 million or so because the interior is somewhat lacking in water and good soil.
If you like the heat, the ocean, deserts, and remote wild untamed open spaces you'd love traveling around here. Every city is pretty much the same the world over.
We don't drive on the right side of the road, no no, the wrong side, as Americans and Europeans often say to us.
Seems we held onto our UK origins a little more than you guys.

Anyway, there's a lot of stupid laws right?
One of them down here regarding LHD cars is that they have to be built before 1988, other wise they have to be converted to RHD. Mind you, the law varies from state to state too.
So, that's why I got an '87 van.
That's a good point about the bias of the doghouse, maybe that's why Ford never bothered importing them... too difficult to convert. I s'pose the pickups don't have that issue.
So, I'm not only gunna be driving on the wrong side of the road, but the wrong side of the car too !!
I'm sure I'll get my head around it.
Should be a laugh.

Thanks for the welcome and info guys.

cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online