Overloaded Trailer?

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More wood I picked up over the weekend. Brought the little heavy duty trailer because I didnt want to have the truck tied up for a couple of days plus I can fit more in the trailer.

Its a "5x8" that actually measures 5'6"x8'10" all steel with a 3000lb axle. Trailer weighs 1100lbs dry and has C load range 205/75/14's rated at 1760lbs each on it.

Friend thought I had too much on it and I was going to add more. Im no good with guessing lbs in wood?? Front half is Poplar back half is Oak.

So how much weight in wood is there?? Too much??

You must be registered for see images attach

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I would figure you could only put more on if you don't have to drive too far. Looks like you've got about a half cord in there and if it's fresh cut and green it's gonna be heavy. You should upgrade that axle to a 6-lug 5K axle.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting you have more than 300 pounds tongue weight there.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yeah they are rated for 3000lbs but you can go up to 1.5x that before it will hurt it. My 25' gn trailer is rated for 20k but I have put a 30k excavator on it and it didnt sag one bit and kept on going. I attached one of the wood pictures on my trailer. I will add the other when I go pick the trailer up (got 20' logs on it, stacked as wide as the trailer (8ft) and stacked 5ft high)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSXyW0EnQ0

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 75

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the input fellas! I had already thought about upgrading the axle to something rated for a bit more. The trailer itself could probably handle quite a lot being all steel. Thick steel.

Oh and correction, its all Oak as Im finding out now splitting.

Does that change anyones thought on too much weight?? Lol!

Last edited:

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
yeah oak is pretty heavy. I tow my bigger GN back to and from TN everyyear with 3 - 5 cords of split dry oak on it back up to montana. I can sell it to people and some places that do smoking ovens on wood for $300-$400 a cord. and I keep a cord for myself so it pays for my trip!

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah oak is pretty heavy. I tow my bigger GN back to and from TN everyyear with 3 - 5 cords of split dry oak on it back up to montana. I can sell it to people and some places that do smoking ovens on wood for $300-$400 a cord. and I keep a cord for myself so it pays for my trip!

A little curiousity on how big a cord actually is revealed-

~From Wikipedia~

ValueMain article: Heating value of firewood
One cord of red oak has the heating equivalent of 108 US gallons (90 imperial gallons; 409 litres) of fuel oil. The price for a cord of mixed hardwood in 2010 ranged from $50 in parts of Tennessee, $60 in parts of Michigan, $80 in Kentucky, $185.00 in Northern Maine, $200 in the US Pacific Northwest and Atlantic Northeast to $400 on the East Coast.

Now I see why you make the trip.:sly

Tenn is only about 6hrs away...hmm, now to find a bigger trailer...

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Yeah but I have a logging outfit in Tennessee as well. I just have them take some good trees down in the spring and store them till I come down in the fall and load them with the excavator so screw the hand loading. logs are easier to judge as well. Up here people go through 5-8 cords of lodgepole pine a winter depending on how cold it is. I can go a whole winter on one cord of oak up here. difference in hardwood vs soft wood. and ALOT heavier. That trailer pic is 5 cords of logs of mixed softwoods and i was grossing 34k with truck and trailer weighing 16k empty. So with 4 or 5 cords of oak at 4800lbs a cord dry it adds up. The heaviest I was when I left TN was 42,480. It was a long slow drive! but I made $275 more than what it costs me in fuel to go down there and back and I got to visit.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All wrapped up...

Im thinking given the trailer dimensions its pretty close to a cord. People say you can fit a true cord in an 8ft bed but I think to do it proper would be to much of a hazard unless you had a flatbed. I dont think I could fit all thats on the trailer into my truck, safely.

And SImp you said a dry cord of Oak weighs 4,800lbs?!?! Mine was partially seasoned but I think I did indeed go over limit quite a bit if youre #s are accurate.

Ahhh...beer time.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Kentucky, a "rick" of wood is 4-foot tall, 8-foot long, minimum 18-inches length of stick, stacked tight enough that a squirrrel can pass through, but not the cat that is chasing him.

It is hard to get a full rick of wood in a standard 8-foot pick-up bed without side-boards.

I was always told that a true "cord" of wood was four-foot high, four foot deep, and eight-foot long; almost three-times the volume of a rick, so I don't see any cord fitting in an 8-foot bed.
:dunno

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
A "rick" is similar to a face cord (4X4X Length) a full (4X4X8) cord will fit in an 8' bed, but straps are recommended (keep the LEOs off your back) and you should not drive very fast.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wikipedia classifies a cord as 4x4x8 tightly stacked logs or split wood. Given those dimensions it seems plausable that you could maybe fit that in an 8ft bed stacked basically like a camper shell. Most people that claim that end up with stacked wood to the top of the bedsides and a mound after that. I dont really see where its reasonable. Not saying it cant or hasnt been done. I just wouldnt want to take the risk jacking my insurance by a chunk or two falling off.

My trailer soaks up a cord pretty well and its safer so why take the chance...