Optimal Exhaust Size

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys wanting to experiment, don't just cut the pipe and have it dump under the truck. If you do, it will be WAY louder than a full straight pipe out the back. You must install a muffler delete pipe if you want to make a true decision on running straight pipe or not.
Travis..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys wanting to experiment, don't just cut the pipe and have it dump under the truck. If you do, it will be WAY louder than a full straight pipe out the back. You must install a muffler delete pipe if you want to make a true decision on running straight pipe or not.
Travis..
What he said!!

When I first got the turbo on my truck, I didn't have the $$ to get an exhaust system, and by the time I realized this, I had already ripped out and trashed my old exhaust. So, I ran my truck with just the downpipe :shocked: for over 3 years. Sadly, my ears are already screwed up enough that it didn't do any real harm...but BOY was it loud!!! It was flat-out impossible to have a conversation on the highway.

I have a 3" straight-pipe exhaust now exiting in the stock location, and I can't hear the exhaust note at all unless my windows are down. I still want to insulate my cab, though...I think there's some insulation missing in the firewall or something, because the engine sound in my truck's consdierably louder than in ANY other IDI I've ridden in. OTOH, at highway speeds, my lumber rack and cab roof hum enough to drown out almost anything else :shocked:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
If you click on my youtube link below I have videos there of before and after the muffler just for fun.

Some are just the Dynomax y-pipe no muffler, and some are with a 4" muffler and a 5" tip.

It was sooooo much more obnoxious in real life though with just the y-pipe.

On my computer I have to pretty much turn it up to full volume for it to sound right.