opening up the intake

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I headed out the drive this morning and thought the old truck seemed little more spirited than usual, and I wasn't gettin on it.

I opened the hood later, and discovered that I had removed the plastic tube from the intake and forgot to put it back.

I decided that if this little improvement was so noticiable I would remove the "soup bowl" too. My question now is How does that come off:dunno

do I have to cut it? one tech article suggested it just pulled off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was gone when I got my truck...I have always heard you have to cut it out. Likewise my restrictive air tube was gone, so that's the only way I've ever had it. Do a search on a moose air system or a "ghost tube" while your playing with it. That and a better exhaust is the best you can do for it without buying a turbo..which would be far better but pricey.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?
The plastic air tube that runs from the grill to the air cleaner?
And what soup bowl?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?
The plastic air tube that runs from the grill to the air cleaner?
And what soup bowl?

The soup bowl is the big bulge on the underside of the air filter lid. It sticks into the airway enough that it does cause a restriction. You can remove it by cutting it out. Mine didn't have the plastic tube or the piece that connected at the front of the truck. I guess it restricts some too, seeing as how creighta felt a difference without in there.

RedTruck

Reaction score
The only good reason for keeping the soup bowl is your sandwich feels a little lonely at dinner time without it.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Just kidding

Clicky

Some believe the soup bowl prevents the air filter from getting sucked in. I personally believe that if you get a good reputable filter and replace/wash as needed you will be fine removing the soup bowl. I would guess that most of the people that frequent this sight have removed the soup bowl or upgraded to a turbo.

Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gale Banks was the first to tell us the soup bowl was bad for us back in the mid 80's. His "Power Pac" was the answer to a host of restrictive flow issues. He had flowbench pictures to prove it. However his Power Pac included a specially sized K&N filter (that only Banks has), and one has to wonder if he ever really proved anything. Me, I just get rid of it.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got too anxious to ait, the bowl is gone now as well as the baffle at he inside of the breather tube.

No noticable power, but the truck is quieter at cruiseing speeds.

I probably don't want to know the answer to this, but when I took the bowl off the intake I noticed that it had a good bit of oil in it. Is this an ominous sign of things to come, or is it just blow by from the cdr?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's normal, and the reason a lot of us run a road draft tube.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mine was missing the soup bowl when I got it....I removed the plastic pipe and the baffle plate today....Makes a noticeable difference. I had 1000L of water in the back and I pulled a long hill.....Had more grunt for sure than the same pull yesterday with 1000L in the back as well.....I did notice that it is quite a bit noiser, but I'll take more HP over more noise anyday:thumbsup: ......Time for a cold air intake or a K/N filter for my stock breather....I ordered some Nelson/fleetguard reducers from my work that I need to put the 96 Powerstroke 3.5" exhaust I have on my 91....Need to go from 2.5" up to 3.5"...I cut it off the other day with all the hanger brackets and the works....Air in and air out should help the IDI pull a little better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online