Do we have a source for the mesh guard on the intake manifold?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of my engines have damaged mesh intake guards. They've gotten caught on the air filter housing as I removed it, and the mesh has started to come out of the outer ring.

Do we have a Ford or Navistar part number, or a source besides the junkyard?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t make your own and or repair yours by soldering new wire

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I did a ton of searching on Google for to find a source, or part #. Came up with nothing.
Used every combination of word I could think of.

Did find a guy on E-Bay with one for $45.
Seems this came up about a year ago, and a Part # was posted, dang if I can find it.

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I found them at some point but no clue now. I made my own from perforated steel. Maybe I should get some made up at work and sell them.....

You don't technically need it, you are ok to run without it if you need to.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I made my own from perforated steel. Maybe I should get some made up at work and sell them.....
That's a great idea! You're right though. You don't need them to run your engine. It's after the air filter (N/A) or turbo. Anything that gets through one of those will be small enough to pass through that screen. If a turbo vane happens to break off for some crazy reason, I think it wouldn't be very long until that vibrated the turbo enough to cause the rest of them to start digging into the housing. Of course I mat be wrong on that part.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea! You're right though. You don't need them to run your engine. It's after the air filter (N/A) or turbo. Anything that gets through one of those will be small enough to pass through that screen. If a turbo vane happens to break off for some crazy reason, I think it wouldn't be very long until that vibrated the turbo enough to cause the rest of them to start digging into the housing. Of course I mat be wrong on that part.

That's actually part of the reason I made mine. An extra safety just in case. Not that I think it'll help much, but it would probably keep any big chunks out.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Gandalf's post, I did a quickie look at the parts bin and did a text search for "intake"

This showed up ..

"

N 1 RVE3TZ9F460AJ E3TZ9F460A 1983-94 Screen, Intake, 6.9L/7.3L, E & F Series, All

"

FWIW,. While I had it up, copy/paste.

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have a couple out in my storage cabinet in the shop I dragged home from PNP.
Send me your info through the message/private message thing and I`ll throw it in a padded pouch for you. No charge.

Soon as i get done here I`ll check the condition of them, but as I remember in great shape.

Goat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online