one more time before I take drastic measures

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When me and a couple of friends put a new ip on my truck we had the markings way off and the truck smoked all of the time even with the fuel screw turned all the way off we finally just had to tear it down to the timing cover and retime it and it ran just fine no smoke ever since

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When me and a couple of friends put a new ip on my truck we had the markings way off and the truck smoked all of the time even with the fuel screw turned all the way off we finally just had to tear it down to the timing cover and retime it and it ran just fine no smoke ever since

The more I think about it, all of this sound like it should be it. Two owner ago the guy took very good care of the truck,almost everything has been maintained very well. The next owner only had the truck for a short time before he was killed, and the next guy never drove it and was sure the reason for the smoke was the engine had been dusted! NOT!

Neither of the past two owners put the reman ip on so it must have been the guy that took good, sort of, care of the truck. The ip went out and the new one didn't fix the truck so he sold it.

Now I have it and am getting to figure out what went wrong and why. I took the truck sight unseen for some work I did on his tractor.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd almost bet money that thing jumped timing. The sealant on the gear tower is a giveaway. The most obvious symptom of this is that no matter how much you adjust the timing within the limits of what the pump will move without breaking stuff you just can't get it to run right. Timing by ear a mechanically inclined guy like you should be able to get it to run well enough that it will start normally hot and cold, not break anything and not excessively smoke. If you want it to be spot on it needs to be timed with tools. Even the best ears are usually only +-2 degrees.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm going to reset the ip in the next day or two depending on the weather. I'll time it where I feel I'm getting the best economy and starting performance. If I have GP issues I"ll back it off a little until I can find some body in a surrounding town or get to one of the IDI gatherings.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We I was able to break away from my chores and take a shot at bumping the timing gear up one tooth before the sun went down and I set the pump about a dimes width advanced. Now it runs like it di before I did anything. I'm going to play with my timing tomorrow when I get back from Dallas. I was supposed to go today but I wasn't able to get away. I'm thinking that I might have to go another tooth. Does that sound right? Or will I advance it one more dimes width and It will magically be running right.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If there's still room to rotate it, I would go that way before pulling the housing again. Did you verify where the timing marks are, or just guessing?

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. I rotated the engine to TDC 0 while looking at the end of the ip under the inspection plate. When the pin was at 4:30 I knew I was where I wanted to be. I looked at where rhe bottom bolt was and lifted the housing just enough to rotate the gear. I barely move the gear and the bottom bolt was as far past 6:00 as it had been before 6:00. I tried splitting the difference and I could. That had to be one tooth, which was my goal. And it worked, clock wise is the correct direction. I will keep posting my results and thank you everybody for you support and input.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
So its running like it did before, as in it's running like it should again? Or is there some seriously noticeable problem with it yet? You'd be amazed at how much a dimes width will change the behavior of these engines.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Ive ran these Ford IDI's with one tooth either way, and it was completely obvious that something was wrong. One tooth retarded made it nearly impossible to start even hot, and it had about 50 horsepower with lots of grey smoke. One tooth advanced was so clattery, i thought the pistons were gonna shoot through the head at any moment, and tons of white smoke. This was all with the pump at 0' degrees

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yes and no. I rotated the engine to TDC 0 while looking at the end of the ip under the inspection plate. When the pin was at 4:30 I knew I was where I wanted to be. I looked at where rhe bottom bolt was and lifted the housing just enough to rotate the gear. I barely move the gear and the bottom bolt was as far past 6:00 as it had been before 6:00. I tried splitting the difference and I could. That had to be one tooth, which was my goal. And it worked, clock wise is the correct direction. I will keep posting my results and thank you everybody for you support and input.

If You use a mirror, and a BRIGHT light, You can SEE the timing marks on the gears.

I've even seen the gears with the original IH paint marks on them.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife went in to Heart failure last night, my truck is on the back burner for now. She was stable this morning but her kidneys had not started working yet. Later. And thanks to everybody for their help and support.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah man, really sorry to hear about your wife. Obviously the truck is the last thing on your mind. That's some scary stuff, let us know how she is.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi - praying for your wife (and you), let us know if we can do anything and keep us updated on her status if you get a chance from time to time.