Ok to "flat tow" t-19

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no experience with these.
Found a good deal on a truck about 150 miles from me.
It might make it back..."plan for the worst, expect the best" theory.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you can flat-tow a T-19 with the driveshaft connected in Neutral.

The ZF-5/ZF-6 and other more "modern" manuals DEFINITELY NOT!!!! I know in the late 80's many towing companies paid to have ZF-5's rebuilt/replaced due to towing with the driveshaft in-place and in Neutral....

Hopefully @towcat will see this and confirm. He has been in the towing business for some time..... he would be the one to know for certain!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the sake of safety and being able to rest easy just drop the driveshaft. Its 4 nuts or bolts. Can it be any easier....
I believe the 4 speed trans ca be towed with no issues but I'm not the
"expert" on the standard trans. What I know I learned here and that is you never tow a ZF5 speed. The design of the trans will not splash oil on any top main shaft gears. Thats a fact you can take to the rebuilder all day long too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you can flat-tow a T-19 with the driveshaft connected in Neutral.

The ZF-5/ZF-6 and other more "modern" manuals DEFINITELY NOT!!!! I know in the late 80's many towing companies paid to have ZF-5's rebuilt/replaced due to towing with the driveshaft in-place and in Neutral....
you are 100% correct there.
ZF5 and ZF6 are designed where the input shaft(&gear) also doubles as an oil pump. oil is then distributed throughout the gearcase. oddly enough, the output shaft assy front support gear and the rear output support bearing are the two most critical need bearings and they are on opposite sides of the cluster assembly. once the ATF cooks off those bearings, the trans is ruined.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of this and I will be pulling the driveshafts when and if....Take more variables out of a crappy job

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ys know... Someone suggested removing the drive shaft just to be sure and safe...:angel::angel::sly

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no experience with these.
Found a good deal on a truck about 150 miles from me.
It might make it back..."plan for the worst, expect the best" theory.

I wouldn't. The output shaft is up high, mostly above the gear lube. The counter-shaft gears; that do the gear oil flinging, wouldn't turn at all in neutral with the engine off. Therefore: I think your output bearing would overheat fairly quickly.

In a tight spot without tools (or if your carrier bearing bolts are froze), maybe put it in high gear and press the clutch pedal. Probably a lot better just to drop the drive shaft though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7