West Coast to Midwest Route Suggestions - N/A 6.9L T-18/19, 4.10s

Zion

Reaction score
My term is coming to an end, which means I need to start mentally preparing for the drive home. I initially drove from IA to OR via I80 to I84 to I5, but it was a rough going and not at all ideal with no overdrive, no pyrometer, and 4.10s. I know I'm not going to be able to avoid grade changes, but some of those mountain passes really test the "Built Ford Tough" motto. The truck normally runs between N and A on temp, and since I have no way to read exhaust temps, I figure hitting between A and L through Utah was not great for the internals. Time isn't really a concern, I'm expecting a similar 40-hour debacle, but I'd rather avoid extra miles given fuel prices. Final route concern is the type of traffic. Being limited to around 55mph (on level ground) had me feeling like a menace to all the long haulers in my rear view mirror. This time around I've got a new injection pump and hopefully won't have to stop every few hours to tweak timing or clear injectors, but I'm certain the beast of a truck has different plans. I've seen a few threads about going cross country in a four speed, but few had similar destinations. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions in terms of getting from point A to B.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The big thing is be prepared. You could break down, having the basic tools and parts means you can fix on the side of the road or an auto parts store parking lot.

Some thoughts.
1) Tool bag with all the tools needed for hose, electrical, belt and such repairs. (Ratchets, reaches, screw drivers, pry bar……)
2) Tools to change a tire and a good spare. Make sure you test the lug nuts to insure they are not stuck befor your trip. That the spare tire nut is not rusted and stuck and your spare has air. Lug nut wrench, large screw driver to get hub caps off. Floor Jack to make it a breeze. Bring a plug kit just in case.
3) Extra fluids. Gallon of oil, two quarts of ATF, some gear oil, and some coolant or at least water for the radiator.
4) Some electrical wiring, crimp connectors, wire strippers, crispers, etc. That way you can fix a wire or trailer wiring.
5) Parts. If your belts and hoses are more than 4 years old buy new ones, you can return later if you buy from a national chain or Rock Auto.
6) Cell phone charger in case you do break down.
7) Get AAA if you do not have tow insurance with a club in case you need a tow, do their high level and the first 200 miles is free.
8) If you plan to pull a trailer have a spare tire, wheel bearing, seals, and tools to replace the wheel bearing. Spare bulbs for the tail lights.
9) Portable air compressor.
10) Some flares or small but heavy safety cones in case you do break down with you truck sticking into the road.
11) Change your oil, top off all your fluids, replace the fuel filter, and lube all your lube points. Don’t start off low on any fluid.
12) Spare keys and credit card in case you loose something. I have my wife put the spare keys in her purse for safe keeping but zip tied to the under side of the truck works too.
13) A couple hundred in cash. Cash is king and if the credit card system at the gas station is down, cash is the only answer.

Have a level of confidence your truck will make it. These trucks are old but well built and simple.

As for going 55mph don’t feel bad many others do it too!

Last but not least, your temp gauge is pretty worthless, so don’t ignore it but don’t let it fool you either. These trucks stay cool as long as you do not push them too hard or low on coolant or oil.

All the best and may you have a safe trip.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
84 is probably still best, interstates are often less steep because they were designed and built decades after US highways and took into account trucks and higher speeds. Plus people can easily pass you at any time, unlike on 2 lane back highways. People will get pissy and will pass you when it isn't safe and almost cause head on wrecks. Plus a big shoulder is along interstates to pull onto, if needed. There's no way to avoid the mountains out west so stick to interstates, they're safest IMO. If that means 25mph downshifted to 1st gear in the added 3rd truck (far right) lane on a steep grade, so be it. Been there, done that. Put on your hazard lights and just toodle along.

I have crossed the mountains out west in both my F250 and E350 (see sig for the specs). No pryo in the F250 but does have water temp. E350 has pyro and water, and soon trans too.

and if it makes you feel any better, it seems like it's almost always old chevy trucks pulled over with the hood up or left abandoned on steep grades, at least from what I've seen

Last edited:

12pilgrim

Reaction score
My term is coming to an end, which means I need to start mentally preparing for the drive home. I initially drove from IA to OR via I80 to I84 to I5, but it was a rough going and not at all ideal with no overdrive, no pyrometer, and 4.10s. I know I'm not going to be able to avoid grade changes, but some of those mountain passes really test the "Built Ford Tough" motto. The truck normally runs between N and A on temp, and since I have no way to read exhaust temps, I figure hitting between A and L through Utah was not great for the internals. Time isn't really a concern, I'm expecting a similar 40-hour debacle, but I'd rather avoid extra miles given fuel prices. Final route concern is the type of traffic. Being limited to around 55mph (on level ground) had me feeling like a menace to all the long haulers in my rear view mirror. This time around I've got a new injection pump and hopefully won't have to stop every few hours to tweak timing or clear injectors, but I'm certain the beast of a truck has different plans. I've seen a few threads about going cross country in a four speed, but few had similar destinations. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions in terms of getting from point A to B.
Keep us updated on your trip!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01