OK, how do I fix this?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's the deal...the red plastic piece on my throttle cable is/was really brittle, and a piece had broken off it previously so the cable would bind up sometimes and I couldn't get full throttle. So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to mess with it and I think I made it worse. See below:
You must be registered for see images attach

Now there's nothing supporting the spring...so that's all screwed up, and I cut the end of the plastic stuff off the cable sheath not realizing there was the braided cable under it, so it's also hanging up in the spring. Oi -cuss Now it binds up really bad and I can't get full throttle.

I tried to put a little plastic piece in there to cover the end of the sheath but it just gets stuck up inside of what's left of the red plastic piece there. If I could just get something in there to support the spring I think I'd be OK but I'm not sure. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the cable?

And, if that's my best option...does anybody have a throttle cable they could sell me relatively cheap?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but you need a new cable. Really nothing is going to help you now...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my red plastic sleeve went all crappy and stuck my throttle wide-open a couple times, I took needle-nose pliers and carefully broke away ALL of the red plastic.

I also removed and discarded that spring.

The throttle works better than ever with that stuff gone.
;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my red plastic sleeve went all crappy and stuck my throttle wide-open a couple times, I took needle-nose pliers and carefully broke away ALL of the red plastic.

;Sweet

That's exactly what I did with my 90. No problem since.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a new cable from the dealer.
In one week, I had one throttle cable break and one hang at WOT.
break is bad.....hang at WOT is really not good.:eek:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has stuck WOT a few times too, I had to kick the throttle a few times to make it stop. The cables are stupid easy to change. It pops off the pedal and two 8mm screws retain it to the firewall. I happen to get a sweet one from the truck I got my $35 ZF5 from...

whenry912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the opposite problem, mine stuck at idle, had to idle up a hill in traffic from a traffic light before I could pull over and fix it... so yes, I agree with others, get a new one ;Sweet

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

;Sweet

I thought about doing that but wasn't sure...I will try it ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not buy the cable from napa, it is a pos.

That depends upon who makes it for them, I have about a 50-50-, I open it right there, some look exactly like OEM, and they are ok, the other one is absolute ****.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack here but my 94 F250 has a new throttle cable on it, or at least it looks new, it was on there when I got the truck. The problem with it is that it's stiff as hell, it's so stiff that it is kinda uncomfortable to drive after a little while. My 93 F250 still has the original cable on it and it is no where near as stiff. Is there anyway to make the cable less stiff or is that just the way it is?