Oil pressure question

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I have read up on the forum that the factory oil pressure gauges are somewhat unreliable in these trucks. I have a scenario where my oil pressure gauge is reading barely at the minimum line when the engine is warm. sometimes it will read above the N on Normal, sometimes it will read somewhere between the low line and N. Tonight my pressure started at the O and went down to the min line as the engine warmed up. I am not sure if it was gradual or not, I wasn't really watching that close. I asked a similar question either on this forum or on the diesel stop forum and I got a response that the gauge is essentially static and that it will not give you any reading until you have built a certain pressure and when the gauge does give you a reading it will be the same reading regardless of the pressure. (I really hope that makes sense). So, based off of that, I was told that if I had a reading on my gauge that my pressure was more than likely fine.

Ok, so I hate being nervous every time I see that darn oil pressure gauge. Where does the gauge get its signal from? Is it at the top of the turbo? Can I just replace that sensor with a mechanical gauge to test it? TIA

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to install a true oil pressure gauge. Then you will know the actual pressure you have in the engine. It should be about 40 cold and can go as low as 10 at hot Idle. The pressure sensor is located on top of the rear of the engine. You can T into it for your real gauge.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks racer saying the location of that sensor, i am adding an aftermarket gauge this weekend i hope on mine and was wondering where i was gonna get the pressure from i will have to locate that sensor..

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I rebuilt my engine about a year ago and installed mechanically guages, the oil pressure at operating temp at idle is about 25psi.
Oil pressure at operating temp going down the freeway is about 50 psi.
Now for your rig it may be different because of condition of internal engine parts such as worn rod and main bearing, oi pump condition.
But adding a mechanical guage is the best thing you can do.
Before I added my guages my oil pressure at temp at idle was below the "L" mark and at temp going down the freeway it was in the middle of the guage.
These guages in these trucks are no more than a glorified idiot light.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed my oil pressure feed on the drivers side of the block, right below the oil cooler. there is a pipe plug there..just take it out and install your sender or fitting.
easier to install there and you keep your factory "gauge" so the cluster doesn't look getaux.
for instance, my factory gauge stays between "r" and "m". my mech gauge is around 50psi cold, 40psi hot at speed, and 20 psi hot idle.
the factory thing never moves. so a real gauge is the only way to know

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures? That would really give me a great idea of where it is.
Personally, I T'ed off where the FACTORY sender is...top rear of the engine. The hardest part is reaching to do the work.
By T'ing off the OE sender you can still use the OE gauge and, still use a mechanical pressure gauge where 'International' decided was the place to get a pressure reading from.

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures? That would really give me a great idea of where it is.

No picture, but if you have a factory turbo'ed IDI, it will be on the turbo's oil galley in the center/top of the turbo.

Heath

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
My truck runs just over 50 cold idle, just over 40 hot at speed, and about 12-14 hot at idle in gear around 650. Sender is on a grease gun hose attached to the underside of the block on the driver's side. Typ4 recommended putting the sender remotely on a grease gun hose so the engine vibration won't kill the sender.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its really a sad thing to look at the factory dash gauges and have to guess what the pointer is telling you about where and what letter of N.O.R.M.A.L. is. Really all the dash gauge is telling you is that you have at least 7 lbs oil pressure.. Nothing more. It was never designed to tel you the pressure went up or down. So an aftermarket gauge is the best bet. Electrical or mechanical is your choise... Really good reason for useing either of them.. I like the 270 degree sweep gauge face. It gives me a better feel for whats going on.. I just saw what Autometer offers now. Their gauges have a red warning lite in the face of them and you can set the high and low ranges to what you want. If lets say the oil pressure gets too low the red lite flashes till its ok again... Same with temps.. the are god o mighty expensive too.. But don't worry about what you see on the factory dash gauges. Some refer to them as idiot lites with a pointer...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i am really glad that i put the real gauge in too. after i put the turbo back on last summer my factory sensor wire got pinched between the air box and the intake snail. now that the wire is frayed, the gauge jumps around a lot. i would be really freaking out if i didn't have a real gauge. real gauge says i am good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828