Oil Pressure Issues.....????

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$800 is way too much for a turbo rebuild. I know a shop here in Gainesville that does them but I don't know what he wants to do an overhaul. I'll check if you want. If the turbo is trashed you probably want to go with one of these online places. Shipping is killer but you'll still never get anywhere close to $800 even if the whole thing is trashed.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
For the amount of oil you are using I think your problem is possibly on the exhaust side of the turbo....If you had that much oil leaking into the intake you would be looking for a block as it would have ran away on you by now -unless you have a charge air cooler - the oil would settle to the bottom of it and wouldn't make it to the engine as a fuel source. If it goes into the exhaust it would smoke and probably be burned up on highway driving if the shaft seal wasn't leaking severely. That pic doesn't convince me that the turbo has a failed compressor shaft seal. I see failed turbo's almost daily. Oil consumption is usually a visable sign - oil leaving the stacks or oil in the intake piping. Unless your intake piping is heavily coated with oil I would start to look at the turbine side and go from there. It can be burn't and appear as black smoke out the stacks - won't necessarily be blue.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay Later today when I get home I'm going to try and take off the intake snail...... I'm no mechanic so me diagnosing a problem is tough, lol..... I will take some pics and whatnot...... And check back on here for any other suggestions....... I appreciate all the help!!! :hail :hail :hail

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
For the amount of oil you are using I think your problem is possibly on the exhaust side of the turbo....If you had that much oil leaking into the intake you would be looking for a block as it would have ran away on you by now -unless you have a charge air cooler - the oil would settle to the bottom of it and wouldn't make it to the engine as a fuel source. If it goes into the exhaust it would smoke and probably be burned up on highway driving if the shaft seal wasn't leaking severely. That pic doesn't convince me that the turbo has a failed compressor shaft seal. I see failed turbo's almost daily. Oil consumption is usually a visable sign - oil leaving the stacks or oil in the intake piping. Unless your intake piping is heavily coated with oil I would start to look at the turbine side and go from there. It can be burn't and appear as black smoke out the stacks - won't necessarily be blue.
before u take the intake snail off pull the down pipe clamp off the turbo spread it a little but dont take it compleatly out though take a look and see if it is wet or anything like that and let us know what u see

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Ok..... So, I went on the venture to get the intake snail off and couldn't get a bolt off of the air cleaner box thing, so I got my roommate to come out and help me and one thing led to another and he was bound and determined to get the turbo off, so off it came.... in about an hour...... without too much difficulty really. I took some pics of the turbo off the truck, there is a puddle of oil under the turbo, not and ridiculous amount of oil in the snail or on the exhaust side of the turbo either.... We're at a total loss as to what is up with this truck. Now, the only other suggestions he (roommate) gave me was there is a little oil on/around the rear main seal area, nothing excessive, but could that thing have blown allowing oil into the tranny? :dunno Without dumping tons of oil on the ground? Now that I have the turbo off, what should I do? If its good just stick it back on? Is there something simple that can be upgraded to make it better? I'll post the pics. Thanks a bunch to ya guys! :hail

Attachments

• Turbo 023.jpg
    Turbo 023.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Turbo 024.jpg
    Turbo 024.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Turbo 030.jpg
    Turbo 030.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 32

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Since you have the thing off, the heavy labour cost is done away with . You might as well get the thing rebuilt while it's off. Or get a rebuild kit and rebuild the thing. Once you've gone into it that far it's kind of silly not to.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Well, I kind of figured that, but if it's something else, I need every penny I have to fix that other problem, which apparently I haven't found yet. Also though, I had already planned to put a bigger downpipe on, where can I get that at? Anything else I can do to make it better I would rather do since it's off, the rebuild kits, is that something I could do? What about this rear main seal theory? lol

tractorman86

Reaction score
Ok..... So, I went on the venture to get the intake snail off and couldn't get a bolt off of the air cleaner box thing, so I got my roommate to come out and help me and one thing led to another and he was bound and determined to get the turbo off, so off it came.... in about an hour...... without too much difficulty really. I took some pics of the turbo off the truck, there is a puddle of oil under the turbo, not and ridiculous amount of oil in the snail or on the exhaust side of the turbo either.... We're at a total loss as to what is up with this truck. Now, the only other suggestions he (roommate) gave me was there is a little oil on/around the rear main seal area, nothing excessive, but could that thing have blown allowing oil into the tranny? :dunno Without dumping tons of oil on the ground? Now that I have the turbo off, what should I do? If its good just stick it back on? Is there something simple that can be upgraded to make it better? I'll post the pics. Thanks a bunch to ya guys! :hail

hmmmm.... well you could start by sending me the whole turbo system, it must be no good at all i'll get rid of it for you:D :D honestly don't see anything out of wack there. so it hasn't ever left a big puddle? sounds funny:dunno if the main was the culprit the underside of the truck would be coated and would leave a series of puddles everywhere it went

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
No big puddles of oil anywhere ever. Even as it it sits right now there's not oil coming out of, if you run your finger along there you get oil on them but to me nothing excessive and it doesn't even drip........

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam, If I read what you said correctly earlier, the oil consumption is significant over a short period of time. Now that you have the turbo off, take the turbo oil line off and put a pipe plug in the opening. You would then have basically an NA engine. You could drive it this way the short distance that you drove it before to check for oil consumption. Cover up the crankcase drain, and fab a temporary filter over the intake to run it. If you sucessfully run without major oil consumption, then your culprit is in your hands. If the oil is still disappearing, then it's not the turbo.

As for the rear seal idea, nada. That oil would pour out on the ground rather than fill the trans. I suspect your oil is either going on the ground, or out the exhaust, and only at certain speeds. Ditch the CDR and go with an RDT. You could then name your truck "Smokey". ;)

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put an old cloth shirt over the tailpipe to see if cacthes any oil:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Guys.. I'm concerned with the butter looking goo all around the turbo drain back flange. It looks really thick.... The CDR valve would be my best guess at this point but.... While the turbo is off rebuild it. That much oil loss is going to show up somewhere.... Tail pipe, ground or its the oil gnomes all over again. They only come when you aren't looking.... Nobody has ever seen one and nobody could pick one out of a lineup....:D After all that, I'm happey you got this apart. It shows that you can do it. You and Tanya are true IDI hands on owners. Glad to have you onboard here....:thumbsup:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam, If I read what you said correctly earlier, the oil consumption is significant over a short period of time. Now that you have the turbo off, take the turbo oil line off and put a pipe plug in the opening. You would then have basically an NA engine. You could drive it this way the short distance that you drove it before to check for oil consumption. Cover up the crankcase drain, and fab a temporary filter over the intake to run it. If you sucessfully run without major oil consumption, then your culprit is in your hands. If the oil is still disappearing, then it's not the turbo.

As for the rear seal idea, nada. That oil would pour out on the ground rather than fill the trans. I suspect your oil is either going on the ground, or out the exhaust, and only at certain speeds. Ditch the CDR and go with an RDT. You could then name your truck "Smokey". ;)

I like the idea of running it with no turbo as you really are eliminating one variable. Plugging the oil line is really pretty simple, and you can take your time freshening up the turbo if you find that's the oil guzzling component. And if oil keeps getting guzzled sans turbo, at least some of the big parts are out of your way.

+1 for running it normally aspirated.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay, tomorrow I'm bringing the turbo to evergreen turbo here in town, guy seems pretty knowledgeable, says the rebuild would run around 350$ barring any major issues. That seems pretty fair to me.... In the meantime, I'm going to try and find a little bit bigger downpipe I think, and possibly an intercooler. The only reason for that is cause apparently the roommate wants to do the plumbing and stuff for it, I'm not gunna argue with the help..... I didn't think he wanted to do all this stuff, so thats why I've been sort of stuck on the whole thing...... I'm glad I had the help though.

Also, you guys have been a great help, if ya'll hadn't suggested taking the intake snail off I'd still be sitting here scratching my head.... well I still sort of am, but hopefully not for too much longer. I will keep ya updated......

Almost forgot, I think I will take a stab at the NA idea.... What sort of filter should I use over the intake?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7