Oil Pressure Issues.....????

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
It went from normal oil levels to 7.5 quarts low........ thats sort of a lot, It's got to be going somewhere.....

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i have been wrong before its really hard to tell if like i said cant hear see or touch so hope we helped out as much as we can

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam a lot of people have problems with the drainback system on the ATS wastegated and factory turbos, could be a leak on the supply line or the turbo drain. If you went from normal to 7.5 qts low and you were burning it just from here to Miami, you'd ge seeing an outrageous amount of blowby and/or at least some smoke out the tailpipe. I'm also told some side to side play in the impeller is ok but it cant be hitting the sides of the housing and it cant have any or virtually no in and out play. If you want a paper element to try for diagnostic purposes I have one you can have, I'll not charge you for it I have no use for it, I could drop it in the mail for you if you'd like. If you're sure the turbo play is within limits maybe you could button it back together and drive it to the local turbo shop. Its not going to be easy to get it out to take it in for a look see. Think 5-6 hours for someone who knows what they're doing. Still its what needs to be done if its hitting the housing or you have excessive impeller shaft play.(in and out) Good luck and hope everything goes okay. Pay real close attention to the oil supply line..... now that I think of it, that thing tends to be a big issue with ATS turbos..... lead to Old Mister Bill, myself and a couple others using a completely different kind of oil feed line because they had a tendency to leak!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
if you're ingesting oil from the turbo, the items you pulled off won't tell you for sure or not. best thing to do is to pull off the intake snail between the turbo and the intake manifold. That will be the definitive on where the oil is winding up at or not. I strongly suggest on doing that first before pulling the turbo. Pulling a wastegated ATS can be easy or a real bear.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
What is involved on pulling off the intake snail? I'm just sort of at a loss on what to do, because money is going to be an issue. I don't want to drive the dang thing and really mess things up. Everyone basically wants both my arms and a leg to do much with it, the local diesel place said they can't tell me anything till they pull it apart, which is crap cause once they do that then I have to get the work done. The other shop where my friends at is 800 bucks for a rebuild plus the labor in and out. :dunno The stealership wants 950 for a remand one. I don't want to go thru the trouble of getting the turbo off to take it to the machine shop (evergreen turbo) if that isn't really my issue.... I have no luck......lol

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well if money is an issue arrange an IDI mini meet, there must be a good soul on FL that could help You get it out and back in. Too bad You are so far I'm half off this week and could do it for You.

As stated, remove the intake hat, that will show if there is oil draining inside it specially in this amounts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
you're more than halfway there already. it's the aluminum piece that covers the intake manifold opening. one bolt holds it down on the intake. but this is where it gets interesting. removing the bolt is easy. the "fun" part is wiggling the snail off the intake since it's a very close fit on the compressor outlet on the turbo. with some patience it can be done though.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I just got home..... and it is fixin' to DOWNPOUR, lol..... I'm gunna have to give this a try tomorrow I'm thinkin hopefully not in the pouring rain.... Also, in somewhat better news..... I found someone who has a turbo for my truck off of the diesel garage forum who is willing to sell it to me for 50 bucks, they were asking more but given the situation.... 50 bucks plus shipping from about 100 miles from my house.... It was off of another truck and he got it to put on his 6.9L but it was going to be too much work, so he got a hypermax kit instead and no longer needs this one. I feel like I should jump on this? He has had it checked out and it seems to be in good shape..... I know hard to tell until I'm looking at it, but..... I can't lose much......

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay, So heres another question, I just spoke with this guy with the turbo..... It is off of a 1994 powerstroke.... with a 1.1 inlet (does that make sense) Soooo, my question is, will this setup work on my truck???? :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Okay, So heres another question, I just spoke with this guy with the turbo..... It is off of a 1994 powerstroke.... with a 1.1 inlet (does that make sense) Soooo, my question is, will this setup work on my truck???? :dunno

Completely different animal.

won't even come close to bolting up to that thing without massive custom fabrication and then theres's other issues.

Try the simple checks FIRST. Before resorting to surgery or drastic parts purchases. Don't just throw parts at a problem, Diagnose the problem, then fix the problem. If you want to just throw parts at a problem without knowing what the problems is...well, than, I guess, you could apply for a job turning a wrench at the local dealership around here :eek: :angel:
First rule of mechanics is the same as one of the first laws of science, Occam's Razor, which basically states in a nutshell, the most simple solution is usually the correct one.

If it does eventually turn out to be the turbo and you get feeling adventurous and want to rebuild it yourself, you can get a rebuilt kit from Ron's turbo service on ebay for under a hundred bucks , and he'll balance the assembly for free. chances are youll need a new impeller wheel too by the looks of it, about $85,
or you can buy a new center section and just replace that for a whole lot less than replacing the turbo.
Just don't get in a hurry to go broke. turbos usually don't start inhaling oil overnight.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Completely different animal.

won't even come close to bolting up to that thing without massive custom fabrication and then theres's other issues.

Try the simple checks FIRST. Before resorting to surgery or drastic parts purchases. Don't just throw parts at a problem, Diagnose the problem, then fix the problem. If you want to just throw parts at a problem without knowing what the problems is...well, than, I guess, you could apply for a job turning a wrench at the local dealership around here :eek: :angel:
First rule of mechanics is the same as one of the first laws of science, Occam's Razor, which basically states in a nutshell, the most simple solution is usually the correct one.

what he said is exactly correct diagnos the problem then buy parts it ll save moeny in the long run

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Verify for sure that it was a Powerstroke, not an IDI. Some people do get them confused and call any 7.3 turbo diesel a "Powerstroke" and in 94 you could get all 3 motors (7.3PSD, 7.3 IDI turbo, and 7.3IDI NA).

Try to get a pic of it if you can, but for any good turbo $50.00 is cheap, If you have the funds buy it anyway, if it is the right one than great, if not then ebay it for $200 to $300, make some money and help pay for your truck issues. ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
And make sure to clean and check that CDR. If that thing isn't closing properly above X RPMs when it is supposed to, you will inhale oil . above a certain rpm point the vacuum becomes too great so the diaphram in the cdr pulls closed so you don't draw all of the oil out of the crankcase. If the CDR is too sludged up or if the diaphram is ruptured , it cannot close, and the oil keeps a comin'

You can take it out and clean it with mineral spirits or diesel, repeatedly , they can get pretty nasty if it hasn't been done in a while, make sure the ven't hole on the backis clear. Take a vacuum hose to it and see if it pulls the thing closed ( put the vac hose on the side that goes to the air cleaner and look through the other side, you can see it move) If it doesn't or if in doubt, replace it.