Oil Pressure Issues.....????

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay, so trip to miami went relatively well till I got south of orlando on my way home (about 100 miles out) :puke: Just before that I could swear I started ti hear a slight ticking in the motor, I even shut all the music off and was just listening to the truck..... anyways, this ticking never went away again, gauges were all okay when this first started.... If i threw the truck in neutral ticking stopped.... Then i'm looking at my oil pressure fluctuating (on the factory idiot gauge) and it starts going lower then higher (never above 1/2 way on the gauge) Trucks still running find, slight tick of unknown origin and the the oil pressure drops to NOTHING, so i was like *** and pulled over..... checked the oil to make sure there was at least something in there and I didn't blow a line or something crazy.... not an accurate reading but there was oil in there..... I called up adrian and his thought was if theres oil and its driving good, try and get it home then diagnose.... so here I am doing just that. This morning..... I checked the oil and um it didn't read on my stick at all :puke: :puke:

This truck doesn't leak oil, I watch it all the time, had it parked up on a concrete drive for the 3 days down there and I checked oil before I left and it was A-OK............ Found no oil leaks this morning either..... Oil change was about 1500-2000 miles ago.........Any ideas, whats going on?? :dunno

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
I'ma say it's gettin burnt...

Not really sure though with the oil systems on an IDI.

I just thought to see if you can see oil in the coolant.

Adrianspeeder

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill it back up and see if things return to normal. If so, just start checking it more often and see what happens. I had a Ford Ranger (an 86' with a 2.3L) that never used a drop of oil. My wife drove it one time, and the next time I get in it, the check oil light is on, and there is no oil on the stick. I filled it back up, and it never used another drop the rest of it's life. I've yet to understand what the heck happened. cookoo

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you were looking at the dip stick when it was all wet due to getting splashed down in the crankcase. When you let it sit, then look at the oil level again, all that oil that was splashed around has settled to the bottom and is giving you a more correct level. How many quarts of oil did you put in it at the last oil change? How long ago was that?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
OK kids.... bad news....... So as i said this morning, I checked it and there was no oil whatsoever on the stick..... That being said I called up my buddy at the shop and he said to get some oil in and bring it in.... I did just that... I bought 2 gallons of rotellata and put 3.5 quarts in and drove it down to him..... We let the truck sit a bit then checked the oil, STILL NOTHING!..... we proceeded to have to add another 4 quarts before it was reading full..... Fired it up let it run for a while, checked the oil again, and damnit if there wasn't less in there than we had just a lil while ago!!!!! Heres the bad news...... we pulled the air intake off the turbo..... (mind you I had done that like 6 weeks ago for the GP's and it was okay) The dayum turbo had oil all up in it....... thus with the diagnosis of needing a turbo rebuild..... can we say CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And still trucks blowing no smoke........ Anyone have a turbo????? lol

Last edited by a moderator:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
in the roadside panic , did you forget to first wipe off the dipstick, then poke it back in , then take it out and read it?
funny noises and gauges ******* dead on the side of the road can rattle the best of us.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Nope I sure didn't I wiped it off and dipped it three times to make sure I wasn't going crazy....... I had to clean the oily rags out of my truck this morning, lol

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of turbos floating around. Towcat might have one. As they are generally a pain to install, you should be careful that you're putting in a good one. I don't know what they cost to rebuild, but I doubt it's going to be a cheap fix because of the labor to remove/install it.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay guys..... So a friend of mine came over and we tore off the air intake again, cause he had called up evergreen turbo here in ocala to see what was involved with a rebuild and whatnot...... so upon taking it off..... he wasn't convinced it was the turbo but we fired it up and thought there was an excessive amount of blow by, so I made a video of it..... Let me know what ya'll think....... I'm lost..... :dunno

OKay..... note on the video... adrian is going to post it later cause my computer is WORTHLESS................ :frustrate

Attachments

• Turbo 021.jpg
    Turbo 021.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 56

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If a rebuild is needed its not expensive but... Just getting that thing off the motor is a pain... Banks is much easier to remove... Just make sure the wheel has not hit the housing and it will be a cheap rebuild. Also, have it balanced. These turbos will turn as much as 130,000 rpm. Thats why the air going into the motor is so hot after about 13 lbs of boost.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
that turbo doesnt look to bad but i cant hear see touch it the oil that is there looks like blowby oil have u checked your cooling system for oil
i think justin started a thread about his blow by and it had some good diagnostics in it

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Yes, I checked the coolant, there is no oil floating around in it either...... Hopefully adrian will post the video of the blowby.... I'm gunna try and get it on here again, my computer just hates me.........

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Have You checked the Crankcase Depressure Regulator? If You have one.

What and where is this?? Also..... I had yet one more knowledgeable friend look at the truck..... and agreed on the turbo thing.... there is oil under the turbo also, not tons but enough..... and some dripped down by the tranny and whatnot.... also not "leaking" but probly under pressure it is getting pushed out, no oil in the tailpipe.....

Also, here is the blowby video......

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/HorsinAround4x4/?action=view&current=Turbo019-1.flv

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How much oil is in the tube from the CDR to the air cleaner and the area from there on in?
What type of air filter do you have?( stock type paper, K&N etc). Full air filter box or cone type filter?