Oil leak has me stumped.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I was talking about the boot that attaches the air filter to the turbo. If anything the air may be under a slight vacuum at that point. I would say my oil got sucked through the turbo and burnt by the engine during the combustion process. Most of the leaking was residual oil after the engine was shut down I would guess. This may make suck a leak impossible to see while the engine is running.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, turbo itself should be just fine with the boots loose, just you wont see boost. Yeah, I'll take pics.

I pulled my turbo today, getting ready to rebuild it and I found that it isn't draining very well. I filled it up with oil to the top and the oil didn't really drain, just sat there. Izzat normal?? possible reason of failure??

It should drain faily well. Maybe some crystalized oil burnt in up there...and maybe why seals went bad.

I've never seen a Banks apart, so don't know what if any oiling holes, piston seals or what's going on in the shaft area specifically, but oil is predictable.... too much constant heat, like low to no oil circ, charrs up and crystalizes, no flushing of dirt... process builds faster.... heat backs up and out from central point of problem and continues until failure.

In the case of turbos.... they're hot from the git go, oil is the primary coolant in the bearing. Sure it's offset with some cold air, but heat usually wins.

Always easier to heat than to keep cool.

Check the drain line too, it may be all sludged up. Lack of flow from either end means no flow to the important parts... bearing/shaft.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I rebuild my turbo and the engine still leaked. So I replaced the rear main and no more leak, oil was whipping along the belhousing so I pulled it apart and that seems to have been the leak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you seem to have gone the long ways around to fix the oil leak but... Getting it fixed and rebuilding the turbo will help you get a better ride too. Why was the rear main leaking. Did the seal dig a groove in the crank. Did you use a seal with two lips and a speedi sleeve for the crank...

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In one aspect.... -cuss

But the other is, you've got two new systems. Plus the turbo really needed it and was doomed to possible gross failure.... think of it as preventive maintenance....like an oil change except waaaaay more expensive. :rolleyes:

Didja notice any performance difference with the turbo refreshed? Or same/same??

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you seem to have gone the long ways around to fix the oil leak but... Getting it fixed and rebuilding the turbo will help you get a better ride too. Why was the rear main leaking. Did the seal dig a groove in the crank. Did you use a seal with two lips and a speedi sleeve for the crank...

There was a groove in the crank, I sleeved it and put a twin lip on.

In one aspect.... -cuss

But the other is, you've got two new systems. Plus the turbo really needed it and was doomed to possible gross failure.... think of it as preventive maintenance....like an oil change except waaaaay more expensive. :rolleyes:

Didja notice any performance difference with the turbo refreshed? Or same/same??

Turbo needed to be rebuilt, was leaking, just not the main leak.