Oil leak has me stumped.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, as some of ya'll know, I am searching for a oil leak and I have ruled out several things but come up with very little answers. I found out today that I have a good working CDR and it is functioning perfectly. I also found that there is alot of oil coming out of the turbo cold side.:mad: It is coming from the center of the turbo towards the hot side, funny thing is it spins perfectly and no shaft play, am I up for a rebuild?? Oil is also ending up in the bellhousing somehow but I am gonna fix the turbo oil leak and then go from there. The oil was dripping out of the boot where it connects to the IC pipe. I guess it could have been going into the valley drain.:rolleyes:

I don't know if the turbo could leak 1 quart out in 200 miles but I know for sure it is not either of the valve covers, it is not the turbo drain tube, nor is it the oil pressure sender plug. The rear main is seeping just a little bit but not fast at all, boy I wish I had done that when the trans was out.-cuss

Thoughts on my turbo doing this to me??? What rebuild kit will I need?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not from experience, but what I have read is a turbo can puke out its lube oil fairly fast.... and worse case, it can cause a runaway...... don't want to alarm you.... but if you think the turbo is leaking that much oil, "inside" the system, I would make 150% sure it is not before I drove it...... Could be a plugged turbo drain.... oil will leak onto the valley...... and be a quick leak......

I am sure that others will chime in.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, as some of ya'll know, I am searching for a oil leak and I have ruled out several things but come up with very little answers. I found out today that I have a good working CDR and it is functioning perfectly. I also found that there is alot of oil coming out of the turbo cold side.:mad: It is coming from the center of the turbo towards the hot side, funny thing is it spins perfectly and no shaft play, am I up for a rebuild?? Oil is also ending up in the bellhousing somehow but I am gonna fix the turbo oil leak and then go from there. The oil was dripping out of the boot where it connects to the IC pipe. I guess it could have been going into the valley drain.:rolleyes:

I don't know if the turbo could leak 1 quart out in 200 miles but I know for sure it is not either of the valve covers, it is not the turbo drain tube, nor is it the oil pressure sender plug. The rear main is seeping just a little bit but not fast at all, boy I wish I had done that when the trans was out.-cuss

Thoughts on my turbo doing this to me??? What rebuild kit will I need?

Are ya sure it ain't the sender?? ;Really ;p

Just kidding.

Turbo's sometimes have ring like seals, that is compression rings like piston sealing rings.

They work under load, that is, they seal best under load. At idle, because there's no back pressure on them from high loads, they leak like a ******....EDIT... when you're all stop.

As you all know, I've got no clue on these engines, but have seen a few turbo's leak profusely into both intake(cold side) and hot side.

See if Banks has the rebuild kit. They aren't that hard to do, just time consuming and a bit of clean up. Make sure there's no shaft scoring or turbo vane touch-downs... just cuz it don't feel loose, don't mean it ain't.

My 30 cents worth of nothing! :yell:

EDIT: BTW- I found this kewl chart, it may not be 100%, but at least gives you some starting points... like clogged oil return line from turbo... how simple would that be???

http://www.jhdiesel.com/failurechart1.htm

Last edited:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am definitely not running this till I get the seals fixed, thanks.

Thanks for the chart the one that caught my eye was 'Obstructed engine crankcase vent'. Mine wasn't obstructed, but I hadn't tightened the hose clamp before the trip, could that have been a problem???

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that what mine looks like, ahhhhhh, the gift that keeps on giving and my wallet that just gets thinner.

Did your truck leak when the seals were bad or did you notice it when you pulled it apart?

Is it really that hard to rebuild?? I would rather just do it myself with a rebuild kit. Anybody know what rebuild kit to use? The compression wheel has no damage and the shaft has no play, that why I am stumped that it would leak. Heck, I could probably use the bearings over too, lol. Perhaps the seals dry rotted while they sat for a year in sellers attic.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am definitely not running this till I get the seals fixed, thanks.

Thanks for the chart the one that caught my eye was 'Obstructed engine crankcase vent'. Mine wasn't obstructed, but I hadn't tightened the hose clamp before the trip, could that have been a problem???

Crankcase vents are always shooting oil.... well, not exactly. If you're running hard, or at speed for that matter, if the CCV is exposed in any manner, it will definitely pool oil or make a misty mess wherever the leak is. You ever seen an AIRSEP? Those things collect lots of oil. In a situation where there's a loose hose clamp, I can't imagine there'd be a clean spot around that hose/fitting.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that what mine looks like, ahhhhhh, the gift that keeps on giving and my wallet that just gets thinner.

Did your truck leak when the seals were bad or did you notice it when you pulled it apart?

Is it really that hard to rebuild?? I would rather just do it myself with a rebuild kit. Anybody know what rebuild kit to use? The compression wheel has no damage and the shaft has no play, that why I am stumped that it would leak. Heck, I could probably use the bearings over too, lol. Perhaps the seals dry rotted while they sat for a year in sellers attic.

On the intake side??

Isn't your air intake up front of the truck, drivers side(non-starter side)?? I'm wondering why you're getting the leak indicators around/under the starter??

Oh I get wind blowing it back, but that just spreads free oil everywhere, not consistently in one spot..... kind of odd?!!?! cookoo

Aweright! I'm outta change now.... and guesstimates.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil was leaking onto the intake hat, onto the intake manifold, onto the valley, and into the valley drain, thats what I'm guessing.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil was leaking onto the intake hat, onto the intake manifold, onto the valley, and into the valley drain, thats what I'm guessing.

Aaaaaaaah, makes sense.... but isn't the intake side hosed and clamped too? ?Where/why would the oil leak from there be an indicator??

I can certainly see the CCV hose loose and leaking like a banshee, but in your reply to GOOSE, it indicated seals leaking.

Now don't get me wrong about the seals, if it looks like Gooses, get'r done, however, if all you have is a mess, and your intake hoses are tight, you'd never see the leak unless you took off the intake hoses....or they too are loose.

On a boat, the filter attaches directly to the intake venturi, filter paper gets saturated with oil... bingo....indicator. This is without performance issue tattletales.

There are two things going on here, one is the CCV hose leak, this is a separate issue from turbo seals issues.

Do you think you have both issues??

Sorry... found change in another pocket... ;p

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only has a clamp on the turbo side of the boot, none on the air filter side. Taking note now to get a clamp on both sides.:rolleyes:

So do I getta twofer??? LOL

Remember this about the intake side, although it was good boot was loose, told you the seals are leaking, it was bad in that it may have cause you pressure losses as well. The gap the oil came out of released compressor pressure too.

After the fix, you may see/feel a slight rise in boost pressure.

How kewl would that be???

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, thinking about this a little more, I can't help but wonder if the loose boots caused oil to leak, rather than bad seals.

With less back pressure on the seals from compressor compression, did this cause oil to escape more readily??

Ouch!! My brain hurts from over-thinking this. cookoo

I suppose, if you do the work yourself, you will see new v. old seals and potential over-heat/scarring of the turbo shaft.

It would be nice to see progress pics or comparisons of old v new parts... if you have time or inclination.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, turbo itself should be just fine with the boots loose, just you wont see boost. Yeah, I'll take pics.

I pulled my turbo today, getting ready to rebuild it and I found that it isn't draining very well. I filled it up with oil to the top and the oil didn't really drain, just sat there. Izzat normal?? possible reason of failure??