OIL-JET Torque specs ?

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
I have looked every where, cds, manuals ,I've even posted this question before, please help me. Im looking for the proper install proceedure for the oil jets that shoot the oil on the back of the pistons. Do I need to use locktight? what do I torque them down to?

sassyrel

Reaction score
sometimes--in a head gasket set--the have a piece of paper that tells torque values for diff sized bolts---having not done mine yet-------------use blue lock tight when put back together--it just holds them in place---but dont need a torch to get back aparty----

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used red loctite on mine, you are supposed to use new bolts but they are not available from ford, surprise surprise.
My book says 7 ft lbs, 84 in lbs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well geez guys. My service manual from International does not state a torque other than just the standard torque for a 1/4-20x5/8th bolt. And that is 7 lbs ft. or 10 NM. It does state that these bolts are a special "patch bolt" type and not to sub them for anything else. What in the heck is a patch bolt anyway??? I do know what the bore diameter is for these jets and thats 0.052 and should be checked and cleaned, then blown out with "clean" compressed air. I really don't have a dirty compressed air and I dought any one else has some either....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A patch bolt has that little blob of loctite stuck on it when you buy it.
How is the assembly going?;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing going on with the motor assembly yet. I stopped by the shop Friday and everything was and has been done for some time now. They just didn't give me a call yet. I will be collecting it on Monday and probably start assembly sometime after that. I really am in no hurry but I do want it done. I asked the shop if they use the special tool to install the freeze plugs..... Naw.... We just use a bull punch and hit them in the centers.....:mad: :mad: They wont be doing my freeze plugs. I have another shop that can do it right and I will be watching and air testing it so they know its done right. I know this puts all the responibility on me after I accept it but at least I will have proof that its holding. I also "found" a coolant level sensor at the pick-a-part and will be asking how to wire it up with a LCD red lite in or near the aftermarket Isspro mechanical gage. It only has one black wire going to it but where it clips into the wiring harness I found two wire after the clip connection.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you have a bolt to tighten. Us model A guys, just press-fit them in the holes with a special tool.:rolleyes:

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
icanfixall

They wont be doing my freeze plugs. I have another shop that can do it right and I will be watching and air testing it so they know its done right.

The guys who cleaned my block put the marine brass plugs in and they also center punched them. Should I be looking for another type of freeze plugs?

If so can you guys point me in the right direction on how to take them out and install them.

There is absolutely no part help for these diesels in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remove the brass and get a stainless set , if you cant find them let me know and I will get some and send them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The stainless freeze plugs are a Ford part number E3TZ-6026-A and come 7 to a package. Thats enough for one block. I bought mine from Fordparts Online (800-259-3560). They list for $3.52 each and I paid $2.64 each. I bought 14 and thats enough for 2 complete motors. You gotta love spare parts. There is a special tool that sets them in the block, then it is hit with a hammer and spreads out the plug so it grabs the block. It can only be spread a measured amount and can't be installed wrong. If you don't have the tool your really taking a big chance. I had the brass plugs pop out at 2 miles but saved the motor cause I was on the street but when the second plug let go on the freeway it was all over in les than a minute. That happened at 5200 miles and scuffed 4 pistons and cracked both heads. Damn:mad: . Things do happen.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
typ4, thank you

icanfixall , Called them up and the new stainless-plugs are on the way, a set of 7 at $13.78. Thank you