Oil galley plug behind oil cooler

olBlue

Reaction score
So today I decided to remove my oil cooler after seeing it drip all summer.(idk if i somehow cut a seal on install) It didn't start until 2 months after driving with the new short block was installed. Anyways I remove the oil cooler assembly and behind the front header mount there is a threaded oil plug... and its loose sitting sideways in the threads. Never had a issue with oil pressure or anything but anyone know what this plugs purpose is? I never installed it or checked it as this engine is a new short block but now ill be reinstalling it using locktight. any help is appreciated. Some info: 94 F250 7.3 IDIT

Here is what i talking about circled in yellow
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All of the IDI engines have this plug. If I was to guess, I'd say that it has something to do with the casting process. I could be way off though.

olBlue

Reaction score
well hopefully it didn't do any damage. the plug got sucked into the cooler and bent the fins a little but that's it. Put the new o rings on today and will be lock titing the plug back in. If it fails again and the new motor blows then ill have a cummins swap to look forward to:Thumbs Up