Oil Cooler Rebuild

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunnoAfter I got everything cleaned, I installed the new seals as per the instructions, and pressed the pieces together. It took way more force to do this than I would have thought. No leaks when I first started, But after 5 miles, Lost pressure. Coolant is now full of oil. No water in oil as far as I can tell. This time I will install the seals on the sleave and press one end at a time. I have never had this much trouble with seals before this. Any one else done this recently?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This o-ring installation process is well documented here. Why not ask questions before making any mistakes like others have in the past. Thats the reason we are here... To help others not make the mistakes we have... The o-rings always go on the bundle... Otherwise they will be cut as you have found out the hard way. There is a very good article on the proper way to do this job and... How to remove all the oil from the coolant side... Just need to read it first before so you will be sucessful this time around.... Press one side on at a time....

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very important that you clean the insides of the headers as good as possible to remove any of the flaky chalky type residue, then slather the o-rings in vaseline, it will really help it go together. It is going to take a lot of force to get the ends back together. I used a hydraulic bottle jack and the bottom of one of my tractors to press mine back together. Just go easy a little force at a time and it will finally slide together, you don't want too much force at once and then have it slam together.