Oil Cooler rebuild BooBoo

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Stealing your setup...

Mail me .50 cents & we'll be even.... LOL

I have oem oil cooler seals also. You should make a parts list for when I come that way next time.

I been getting Cooler rebuild O-Ring & gasket kits from NAPA. (Edit later w/part #'s for whoever needs them) & gaskets (paper) from NAPA to mt to my test plate. Usually keep 1-2 kits round to use for mergency rebuilds. When I rebuild I always use complete new O-Rings & gaskets....not worth taking a chance using used stuff. The NAPA rebuild kits come with metal gaskets & I sometimes reuse them to mt to my test plate. I don't like the paper gaskets to mt to engine.

I'll make a list alright.......Just load up & move over here next door!!! Don't know bout you, but I'll be happier!! haha But seriously tho, I'll make a list.

BTW, Your turbo I put on this thing is awesome!! One trip to Bend only yet, but runs & sounds very good! Thanks Russ!!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mail me .50 cents & we'll be even.... LOL

I been getting Cooler rebuild O-Ring & gasket kits from NAPA. (Edit later w/part #'s for whoever needs them) & gaskets (paper) from NAPA to mt to my test plate. Usually keep 1-2 kits round to use for mergency rebuilds. When I rebuild I always use complete new O-Rings & gaskets....not worth taking a chance using used stuff. The NAPA rebuild kits come with metal gaskets & I sometimes reuse them to mt to my test plate. I don't like the paper gaskets to mt to engine.

I'll make a list alright.......Just load up & move over here next door!!! Don't know bout you, but I'll be happier!! haha But seriously tho, I'll make a list.

BTW, Your turbo I put on this thing is awesome!! One trip to Bend only yet, but runs & sounds very good! Thanks Russ!!

I love that testing setup. I'd love to fab up something like that in the future, to test my headers and whole assembly.

I called all around my part of Los Angeles trying to find a shop that would test my cooler and none would do it. A few said if they even tried, it would cost a lot. So, I made a low pressure setup that could test the cooler itself over a long period.

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/diy-7-3-idi-or-powerstroke-oil-cooler-pressure-tester/

You must be registered for see images attach

I let it sit overnight to see if it deflates. Not the greatest apparatus, but it's cheap, easy to build, and it tells me if there is a pinhole leak.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
genscripter I like yours. I made my plate out of 3/8”x4”x23” flatbar. Drilled holes to mt cooler. Trimmed notch out for big pipe plug thingie on rear header so cooler will mt flat. Then in back side Drilled, tapped, & threaded 1/4” 90 deg fitting in, then about 14” of 1/4” pipe with female air fittings. That way I can hook regulated air up & test each side while holding under water.

BTW for anyone this may help my oil cooler rebuild kit I been using NAPA #600-0150 w/O-Rings & metal gaskets, & are for trucks. Different rear gasket for vans as you know.

NAPA/Fel-pro #ES70689 for trucks & vans coolers are paper mounting gaskets only, cheap and I use them to mt for testing.

Then I put in 2 #10 washers in oil pressure relief valve. Don’t help engine, but I got best oil pressure on this side of town!!! hahaha

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
I called all around my part of Los Angeles trying to find a shop that would test my cooler and none would do it. A few said if they even tried, it would cost a lot.

In about ‘95 I had cooler rebuilt &tested at International Dealer shop. Asked them how they tested? They said they had test plate they used they made & it was a big secret. Got me curious. Later I found those plans. I said “ah-haa” I can do it too!!!

Now same place won’t even rebuild, says it cheaper to sell you one.

gfemling

Reaction score
Trying to post pictures of the manual that I found that test plate build directions
I did not know that the early 6.9’s oil coolers used 6 O-Rings instead of 4 till I was looking in one of my other manuals I have.

On a personal experience with same problem-rebuild on ‘87 6.9; note on page 8 it clearly says to install large o-ring in header and small o-ring on tube bundle (Ford’s engine manual says same and gives cautions of dire consequences if do otherwise). Well after getting similar results and similar disappointment having to repeatedly flush to remove milky oil, I talked to Russ and learned the manual is wrong for the 2 O-ring per header coolers (seems was meant for earlier coolers with 3 O-rings per header). Best procedure is lots of lube , both O-rings on bundle and gentle assembly; if it takes more than minor force, something is wrong- proceed with more force will probably result in cut o-rings and frustration. Sad when you faithfully follow manual with sad results.
Hopefully this will help others not duplicate ;-)

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the cornbinder manual in. It's CTS-4260, contains:

CGES-460 Diagnostic Manual,
CGES 435 Service Manual and
CGES-475 Fuel Injection Pump

The diagnostic manual looks as if it alone is going to be worth the $40 this cost on fleabay.

So far, the most interesting nugget is that with a timing meter that clamps onto the injector line and has a magnetic pickup they recommend 3.5BTDC+/-2 degrees. Hasn't everyone here been saying 8.5BTDC? Did Ford get an IP with a different advance curve, or so?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7