Oil Cooler rebuild BooBoo

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
So I rebuild probly 10 oil coolers through the years. Other day I rebuilt my old cooler thought everything was OK, it was a little difficult going to going together but I thought it was OK. I wound up with water in my oil and oil in my water. Luckily I did not how much antifreeze in the water. Luckily did not have much antifreeze in the water. Last night I pulled it and tore it down and here is what I found. First time I rebuilt it pressing back to gather with regular pipe clamps. That was my mistake because it was hard going to gather. Last night when I rebuilt it I used *********** pipe clamps and it slid together easily. Now for the test run. Wish me luck LOL

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your problems. Too many people only post their successes and no one has the courage to post a mistake. The picture of your cut o-ring is a perfect example for people new to oil cooler resealing to show that force is a problem. If there is excessive force, that means that the headers are not perfectly aligned with the cooler, and that means the internal flanges are clashing, and that will cut the ring.

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/6-9-and-7-3-idi-oil-cooler-repair/

Here's how I compress my headers, so that I ensure my flanges don't clash.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your problems. Too many people only post their successes and no one has the courage to post a mistake. The picture of your cut o-ring is a perfect example for people new to oil cooler resealing to show that force is a problem. If there is excessive force, that means that the headers are not perfectly aligned with the cooler, and that means the internal flanges are clashing, and that will cut the ring.

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/6-9-and-7-3-idi-oil-cooler-repair/

Here's how I compress my headers, so that I ensure my flanges don't clash.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In all fairness, there isn't enough server bandwidth to cover my errors. Evidently I like to practice before getting something right the first 3 times. Plus it takes a long time to find the wrench I threw after my second failed attempt while my neighbor sees me do it from her window and shakes her head while she is judging me.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Maybe tomorrow I will start one. Right now I’m putting new water and oil & filter on Bessie & go for test drive. Sad thing is it was brand new oil and filter. Test my cooler rebuild & my Dana 60 rebuild BooBoo. The Dana 60 swap I did last yr using those damn Dana 50 2 leaf springs that now everyone is telling me I shouldn’t have used. Haha.....sigh

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What has not been talked about here yet is the header alignment.The heads really need to be aligned so they slide on easily. Try a test fit with no o rings on the bundle.That tells you have close the fit is. Then install one header at a time keeping an feel fit to insure no misalignment happens cause that cuts the o rings. Use plenty of lube too.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
What has not been talked about here yet is the header alignment.The heads really need to be aligned so they slide on easily. Try a test fit with no o rings on the bundle.That tells you have close the fit is. Then install one header at a time keeping an feel fit to insure no misalignment happens cause that cuts the o rings. Use plenty of lube too.

Thanks for thought of one header at a time. Never thought of that. & the alignment. I knew they needed to be aligned, but not how critical it is. Few times I've had them be difficult & contrary to align & pop together, but recently when I rebuilt it it was difficult & turned out I cut heck out of one O-Ring.
And luckily I had very little anti-freeze in system....that was next. And I also caught it early. Had only warmed it up two different nites. 3rd nite I warmed it up & was going to go for a run. Decided to ck water & found the oil. Have flushed several times since & will finally get all oil out.

Several yr ago I found plans in one my Stanydine (sp) books to build a steel plate to mount & test oilcoolers. With air regulator each side up to 50-60# IIRC. When I did this last rebuild I was tired & cut corners & didn't test it.....my 2nd mistake on this project, forcing & cutting O-Ring 1st.

Been having to work my daily different jobs/projects & work on Bessy at nite....sigh. LOL

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to flush your coolant system with the best emulsifier on the planet, look up "L-11". It's the best, and it'll turn that goopy oil into milk, which will drain a lot easier than the OTC crappy coolant flushes that don't do much of anything.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
If you want to flush your coolant system with the best emulsifier on the planet, look up "L-11". It's the best, and it'll turn that goopy oil into milk, which will drain a lot easier than the OTC crappy coolant flushes that don't do much of anything.

Thanks. I have used Palmolive Dish soap & several flushing in past on semis and used it this time. Good and clean now with 6 flushes. Luckily I did not get very much oil in my water system.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Trying to post pictures of the manual that I found that test plate build directions
You must be registered for see images attach
I did not know that the early 6.9’s oil coolers used 6 O-Rings instead of 4 till I was looking in one of my other manuals I have.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have oem oil cooler seals also. You should make a parts list for when I come that way next time.