Oil Cooler Orings

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at countless threads on this and on my truck there was only 2 orings not 4. Was there some years that only used 2?
Everything I have read says 4 so you can understand my perplexity on this.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very early 6.9 oil coolers had 6 o rings.Three on both ends. they did not work very well so modifications got made and we now use ONLY the 4 o rings on both ends. The 6 ring cooler bundles are no longer sold and I have never seen one offered anywhere.

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah everything that I have read here and other forums all said 4. I guess the PO was really lazy on alot of things. There has been more rtv on this engine than gaskets.
I really appreciate yall and the knowledge you pass on Thanks Again.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I can't see how that could possibly work. I'd think that either you'd have an external oil leak or you'd be getting oil into your coolant if didn't have all 4 o-rings.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this article and watch this video to see how you reinstall the proper o-rings. I don't see how it could have been sealed with just 2 rings. It would have leaked oil into the coolant or it would have gushed out the sides of the cylinder the second you poured in some coolant into the radiator. My guess is there are 2 o-rings wedged in the oil cooler headers. Look inside them and clean them out. they must be in there.

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/6-9-and-7-3-idi-oil-cooler-repair/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The early oil cooler was a different design. Early being 83-84. It was an early change. The entire assembly is interchangeable, but the individual components are not. I also believe the o-ring kit for the early cooler is NLA.

Last edited:

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did find that there was 2 pieces of a seal in the end caps after soaking the cooler in my parts washer for 2 days to get the crap cleaned out. I also took a wire to the tubes to clean them out. Found half plugged up with RTV. BIG SURPRISE haha since there were no actual gaskets on the mounting points.
You guys are a massive help in the process of going thru this whole truck and I am very humble and appreciative for it. Working on cars for 30 yrs has taught me no patience hahaha. This being my first diesel I am taking my time with her to hopefully get it right the first time.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I may also add That twice I found the header that bolts to the block wasn't flat. Check themwith a head guage - don't double up gaskets & add gobs of permatex. My fix I had a heavy piece of 3/4 plate that check out flat - a little valva lapping compound a lot of elbow grease and both headers held face to face - rotated let no ligtthrough - tha head gaugauge said perfect that was 12 years ago the farmer that I sold the truck to hashad no problems. before threr were sighns of oil weeps.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may also add That twice I found the header that bolts to the block wasn't flat. Check themwith a head guage - don't double up gaskets & add gobs of permatex. My fix I had a heavy piece of 3/4 plate that check out flat - a little valva lapping compound a lot of elbow grease and both headers held face to face - rotated let no ligtthrough - tha head gaugauge said perfect that was 12 years ago the farmer that I sold the truck to hashad no problems. before threr were sighns of oil weeps.

VERY smart. This could explain a lot of weeping from IDI coolers. Do happen to have a picture of the 3/4 plate?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828