Oil Cooler Blues...

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
me too, mine is leaking. its pretty bad when you can track my truck in the snow by the oil it leaves behind!! :mad: i wish i had a garage and this thing would be fixed! its too cold outside to tear it apart, till then i guess i will continue to top off the oil and keep on going

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray! Your still here eh? Thought you would have sold it by now.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ray...

Man glad to see you're still around buddy. Sorry to hear that you have an oil leak.

Now the oil cooler isn't all that bad - yes it's messy but it's really not all that bad, I mean it's not like pulling the engine or anything but messy - oh did I tell ya it's messy...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Travis/Mell hey fellas, yea I still have it...she is a great truck. In that bitter cold snap last couple weeks she lit right off first time every time even unplugged!

As I mentioned to Mel, I will be looking at a new F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.4 Triton w/ 6.5 bed soon. OR a slim chance of a new 4 door short bed Cummins.

Anyhow, I really would like someone from the BOOB family to end up with my truck. At least I'll know she'll be in good hands like it deservs to be.
My cream puff still looks great, rides quite and solid, runs perfect and still to this day no one has ever sat in the back bench seat...:D

To this day I often think and talk about the great group of people I met at the 2002 Pa Rally...finer folks are rare to come by and that's a fact! ;Sweet
Can ya believe I only put 20,000 miles on it since then...:rolleyes:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well you're gonna have to log some more like when you come out to the Weekend this year in Indiana...

You're coming correct.... (tapping foot awaiting answer)...

Oh man I remember that event - first one for us and I must say that I walked away with the same feeling as you.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler is great fun! I pulled it apart, jacked up the motor, then still had to pull the manifold again to get it out. When I put her together she leaked like a seive on the water side. I had to pay someone to fix it after all that. If I had to do it again(I pray I won't anytime soon) I would pull the driver's side exh. manifold straight away and leave the engine mounts in, then I'd pull the power steering pump assy and I would make sure the mating surfaces where the front and rear headers mate and the ones on the bundle itself were perfectly clean and shiny(I think this was where I screwed up, got too much in a hurry and tried to cheat. Some sort of gasket sealer may even be appropriate here, not sure what the consensus is on that.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler is great fun! I pulled it apart, jacked up the motor, then still had to pull the manifold again to get it out. When I put her together she leaked like a seive on the water side. I had to pay someone to fix it after all that. If I had to do it again(I pray I won't anytime soon) I would pull the driver's side exh. manifold straight away and leave the engine mounts in, then I'd pull the power steering pump assy and I would make sure the mating surfaces where the front and rear headers mate and the ones on the bundle itself were perfectly clean and shiny(I think this was where I screwed up, got too much in a hurry and tried to cheat. Some sort of gasket sealer may even be appropriate here, not sure what the consensus is on that.

Well now, sounds like a party...can't wait.;Really

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When I did it on the E here is what I did...

First time engine was on the engine stand...

Second time engine was again on the engine stand...

Third time engine was in engine bay... wow didn't blow it up that time... but anyhoo... loosen the four bolts that hold the rear header to the block, then with a pry bar and a piece of wood peel the rear header and tube out of the front header. Then take off the front header. clean everything up. Reinstall front header, then take the tube/bundle and press it into rear header, now place this in the truck and with a larger piece of wood and a pry bar press the tube/bundle/rear header into the front header and bolt it all down...

Don't know how much room there is compared to a 4x4 but in the E there was enough room to work.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oh and put the o-rings on the bundle not in the header first, as you will cut the o-rings if you place them in the header first. Just lube them first to make things a little easier...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how much room there is compared to a 4x4 but in the E there was enough room to work.
Details Travis it's all about details...can ya make sure about the "enough room" dealeo so I'm not cursing you out when I'm pulling the manifold and inside fenderwell off! :D