Official "Home from the Rally" Thread

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

I also got a call from Ron, and they are back home safely as well, with only a minor probpem, but I will let him elaborate on that when he has a chance.

Yup only a minor problem and wasn't nearly as messy as the "campground incident."

We were travelling back north with Chris when about 40 miles into the trip running the ac, I noticed the voltage was dropping steadily on the display on my radio.:eek:

So I radioed Chris and told him what was going on and we pulled into a very smelly truck stop to diagnose the problem.

I disabled the trailer to rule out any issues with it..... Nothing.
Great! well the alternator was making some funny noises so I figured that was the problem. I get to swapping it out for one of the 2 spares I had with me and by the time Chris came back with some breakfast, I was almost finished with the swap.

fired it up and showed less voltage than before. CRAP! 12.0 volts.

I grabbed the bad alternator. Soooo I got to thinking while sweatting my namesake off, I realized that I may have a voltage regulator under my back seat.:D
Yup, them back seats are parts friendly.

It was used and I remembered that I swapped it out a couple years ago cause it was making the lights flicker at an idle.

Chris said, if it's still flickering it's still charging.

Swapped it in and tada, 13.0 volts.
I should have know better but the noisy alternator wasn't noisy after I put it back on and swapped the regulator out.

Oh well, that was my second stupid is as stupid does for the week.cookoo
All in all a pretty uneventfull trip home which was much welcomed.;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
"Campground incident"........ aw come on...... you can't throw someting out there like that....... elaborate please.

This is what stupid is as stupid does looks like.

I have my Amsoil bybass block mounted behind the front bumper and below the drivers side headlight.

In a furry of finishing projects before we headed out, I did an evening oil change on Goldie and didn't check to see if the old oil filter gasket came off with the primary filter.
Well she made it 543 miles before she decided to empty all 12 qts of fresh oil all over the campground roads.:eek:

Tis a good thing it happened there instead of on the highway on the way there, so she didn't sustain any bearing damage.

I gotta thank Chris for helping get most of the oil soaked up off the drive so I didn't get yelled at by the manager, who did question me as to what happened, since the trail of oil did lead right to my lot.;Sweet

Attachments

• P5090361.JPG
    P5090361.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 5

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Man.... that sucks!!!!!! That always happens at the worst time.... and althought it happen in the best place, it is still the worst time. Did you have trouble findint extra oil..... I am sure the "spare jug" behind the seat would have topped that off......

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I had a gallon of oil and so did the Agne crew. After we went to the waterpark, we stopped by Advanced and I picked up 2 more gallons and a FL1995 filter and just bypassed the system.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if anyone ever was to ask why we carry spare parts. Once again it has show to pay off. Glad you got home safe Ron.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an interesting specticle. Ron stopped for no appearant reason, and it took me a minute to realize that the black streak in the road was coming from him. I was then able to retrace his path back to the campsite with ease. We were only about 300 feet from his site, so we just manuvered it into an overland trajectory and gave the cry "shut up and push". LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i know i was glad i had a spare starter behind the seat, to bad i missed the oil carnage, that would have been interesting to see.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
It was an interesting specticle. Ron stopped for no appearant reason, and it took me a minute to realize that the black streak in the road was coming from him. I was then able to retrace his path back to the campsite with ease. We were only about 300 feet from his site, so we just manuvered it into an overland trajectory and gave the cry "shut up and push". LOL

Will I can say that it took approximately 3 minutes to drain the 12 quarts of oil, but am always glad to the be laugh of the party............. Even tho I wasn't laughing then........

Well up until you quoted Heath.:rotflmao

Which reminds me, Missy needs to post that pic of Heath going to work, Uhhh, I mean on vacation.LOL

But hearing ya scream like a little girl sliding down the blue tube of death was payment in full.:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online