Leking fuel at the rear tank

TygreII

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that my truck was starting to leave puddles of fuel at the rear axle. Sometimes they were large puddles. I swiched to the front tank and stopped using the rear. I figure that this is my recent har starting issue. I believe that I may have to go through my back half of the fuel system.

This will be mostly a project thread, but if anyone has any hints or tips, that would be great.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you sit under the truck and look backwards you can see the pickup tube assembly on the top of the tank, it's easy enough to see if the leak is in that area.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering where you live do yourself a favor and replace the tank with a plastic one. This will also require buying gasser sending units which are much easier to locate because they were much more common. Buy the assembly minus the intank fuel pump. Very reasonably priced as compared to the original diesel parts that are often difficult to find.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering where you live do yourself a favor and replace the tank with a plastic one. This will also require buying gasser sending units which are much easier to locate because they were much more common. Buy the assembly minus the intank fuel pump. Very reasonably priced as compared to the original diesel parts that are often difficult to find.
Good call.....

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a slight leak from my rear tank. Ended up replacing both the front and rear with plastic tanks from gas depot. The rear tank was a disaster, there was so much rust floating inside of it.

I also replaced the fuel lines, bent 3/8” stainless lines along the frame with 6AN whips to the tank and FSV.

Don’t do what I did, get the 38 gallon rear tank and delete the FSV.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna pull my bed off one of these days and try to sort mine out.
I had FSV issues just after I got the truck so, in a rush, I had it towed and had the guy bypass all of that and I've just been running direct from the front tank since then. The fuel gauge doesn't work so I fill up @ 100 miles just to be safe.
My rear tank is still full of fuel that I can't access.
I don't want to give up the spare tire storage for a 38 gallon rear tank
I'd love to have the FSV system back but it sounds like having it reliable is a pipe dream anymore.
So, if I ever dig into this my goal is to at least have a working fuel gauge for the front tank and maybe an electric pump to move fuel from the rear tank to the front as needed.
So...you all can look forward to my posts here when I attempt to make that all happen. lol

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the correct OHM`s for your year of truck/Sender.

I used the Spectra F26E 38 Gal rear tank.
Throughly degreased the outside of it. treated it with Phosphoric acid, washed off the residue after it dried, 2 coats of POR, and a couple coats of bed Liner spray.

Did same to Straps, and gooped up the recessed area on the tank for the Straps, and Straps too, with RTV for a cushion.

Also slathered up the top of the new Senders with Anti-Seiz to cut any rust issues that might crop up.

Maybe it is different in the salty rust belt areas of the country, IDK.

The FSV has been a unreliable, short lived, constant problem P O S since it was first introduced.
number dummy over on FTE a retired Ford Parts manager mentioned that.

A good money maker for Ford with replacements.

Market is flooded with them now in the $50 +- range, Chicom replacements.

I run off the rear tank, deep 6`d the FSV, and it`s plumbed from tank to engine and back.
Can safely run 500 miles with a reserve to maybe 600?.
That changes being empty or loaded, and if you drive always down hill will increase your range. ;Really

Spare tire is mounted in the L/F corner with a Ford tire mount that was an option back in the day.
Kind of sorta like this LMC one. This one is for a 70`s something year truck.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the correct OHM`s for your year of truck/Sender.

I used the Spectra F26E 38 Gal rear tank.
Throughly degreased the outside of it. treated it with Phosphoric acid, washed off the residue after it dried, 2 coats of POR, and a couple coats of bed Liner spray.

Did same to Straps, and gooped up the recessed area on the tank for the Straps, and Straps too, with RTV for a cushion.

Also slathered up the top of the new Senders with Anti-Seiz to cut any rust issues that might crop up.

Maybe it is different in the salty rust belt areas of the country, IDK.

The FSV has been a unreliable, short lived, constant problem P O S since it was first introduced.
number dummy over on FTE a retired Ford Parts manager mentioned that.

A good money maker for Ford with replacements.

Market is flooded with them now in the $50 +- range, Chicom replacements.

I run off the rear tank, deep 6`d the FSV, and it`s plumbed from tank to engine and back.
Can safely run 500 miles with a reserve to maybe 600?.
That changes being empty or loaded, and if you drive always down hill will increase your range. ;Really

Spare tire is mounted in the L/F corner with a Ford tire mount that was an option back in the day.
Kind of sorta like this LMC one. This one is for a 70`s something year truck.

Here we go for the Bull Nose Forum

# 1405 and 1407 is what I have, bought it off the guy I buy Fire Wood from. Gave him $20.
use a long bolt from the back side, made a cross piece that fits inside the wheel. 1/4" X 3" length of inside the rim. Drilled 3 holes. one for the long bolt. the other 2 line up with bolt holes in wheel. Drill holes and tapped them for bolt with same thread the Lug Nuts have. bolt it to the wheel. Drilled hole in long bolt for a pad Lock.
My tires are 235/85/16"

I must have hit "Quote" instead of "Edit".

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to give up the spare tire storage for a 38 gallon rear tank
Can you post a picture of how the spare tire mounts under the rear tank? I have the skid plates mounted under my rear tank and can't seem to figure out how to mount the tire there. I presume there was some type of stock mount at one time. Leaving the spare bouncing around in the bed is irritating.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
# 1405 and 1407 is what I have, bought it off the guy I buy Fire Wood from. Gave him $20.
use a long bolt from the back side, made a cross piece that fits inside the wheel. 1/4" X 3" length of inside the rim. Drilled 3 holes. one for the long bolt. the other 2 line up with bolt holes in wheel. Drill holes and tapped them for bolt with same thread the Lug Nuts have. bolt it to the wheel. Drilled hole in long bolt for a pad Lock.
My tires are 235/85/16"
I got all excited and fired off that previous question before reading a bit further where old goat answered the question already. Thanks for that post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online