Off road diesel fuel

pmelah

Reaction score
what if you aint got dot # what can they get you for i dont have farm truck its my personal ???? nothing they can do DOT tried to check my truck i would not let them they ran my tag showed it reg to me not a farm or ranch or bus. told them they had no place to check me as i was not commercial long of the short the judge had to tell those idiots they can not check personal with out proof or permission

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I burn furnace oil in my truck from time to time, they don't dip tanks around here...Some places out in the sticks even sell it at the pumps....LOL....Just about warm enough to start burning WMO and ATF for the summer.

pmelah

Reaction score
ATF is red would that dye the fuel as well? I burn my used motor oil when I do my oil change never had a problem fuel looks dirty for a while but not red like it does with ATF BigRigTech we don't get furnace oil down here to warm even in winter how does that burn

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I burn furnace oil in my truck from time to time, they don't dip tanks around here...Some places out in the sticks even sell it at the pumps....LOL....Just about warm enough to start burning WMO and ATF for the summer.

That furnace oil is the same as #2 diesel, but it is also dyed Red just like off road or at least it is supposed to be.

Burns just the same, no noticable difference....Just cheaper...
Sure it is , it just don't have the Federal road tax on it.

ATF is red would that dye the fuel as well? I burn my used motor oil when I do my oil change never had a problem fuel looks dirty for a while but not red like it does with ATF BigRigTech we don't get furnace oil down here to warm even in winter how does that burn

That won't show up if you get dipped, the red dye in off road will only react to there dip stick.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Is there anyother difference in diesel #2 and #1? Other then the tax and chemical dye? Is there a cetane rating or anything like that?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 and #2 are different grades of fuel, either one can be had in dyed. #1 is a lighter fuel, with less wax content, and lower BTU, but, has colder cloud and pour points.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i was told by the the guy that owns the local diesel supplier and he said that the red was the exact same stuff that he sold at the public pump- just had a cup of red dye per gallon.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've had My tanks dipped 3 times in 2 years. The checkpoints were all at busy 4 way intersections. And near gravel pits, and a major logging route. ANY Diesel Fueled vehicle was directed to the shoulder, and the Officer handed You a small piece of paper explaining the reason for the check, and the consequences of being caught with off road fuel.

Also, the fine is $10K per instance. So if You have dual tanks with off road, that's a $20K fine!