Odometer going black, simple fix?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
1992 E350 IDI, 7.3, E4OD.

Odometer display is going black, probably from old age. I need it functional because the fuel quantity sender went erratic years ago and tracking miles is how I determine fuel levels. Can I just replace it with a junkyard odometer display, assuming I can even find one that is compatible?

I dont care if it shows 100K more miles than current mileage. I'm going to drive this ****** till it dies.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can on the trucks, I did it to mine. I’m pretty sure it’s the same for the vans. You will probably have to buy an entire cluster, but all you need is the little LCD screed for the odometer. You WILL NOT need to solder anything. It’s just a few screws and a small ribbon cable connector for the screen. It should not change the odometer reading, because that’s stored on the board.

It also shouldn’t matter in your case whether the parts cluster is from a gas or diesel. The screen should be the same.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a video on youtube about what brett is talking about. I need to do this also. The challenge is finding one
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media