OBS SC body to '88 SC 4x4 frame

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Guys, I am thinking of putting my SC OBS body onto a 1988 SC 4x4 frame. What issues am I going to run into or are the frames pretty much the same?

The truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

onto this frame:

The OBS with 2wd, really 1wd :puke: is pretty useless here this time of year.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone else done it already when I bought the truck. the Sulaco '88 F250 4x4 dualie, had a OBS front clip grafted onto her.
other than the bumper mount being a little goofy, the rest is a drop-in.

Attachments

• SL377753.JPG
    SL377753.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 13
  • SL373173.JPG
    SL373173.JPG
    636.1 KB · Views: 8

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frames will work, just be aware of minor mounting changes for random things. The front bumper mounts are also different. Alternatively, you could just take the appropriate brackets off the frame and swap them to the 2wd frame. It's be the same as doing a SAS ( solid axle swap) on a F150 or Bronco. All the frames are the same just the 2wd vs 4x4 and f150/bronco vs f350/f350 have different braketry. The diesels do have slightly thicker frames and the 87-91 vs 92-96(7) have different holes (minor) and dfferent front frame horns: the 92-96 half tons having crumples zones and different bumper mounting the 3/4 and 1 tons having just different bumper mounts.

I was curious myself to see a 92-96(7) bumper mounted on the 87-91 frame. Doesn't look too bad. Might look better if the black plastic that is usually under the front area (not sure what the body piece under the grille and headlights is called) was there.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... The diesels do have slightly thicker frames and the 87-91 vs 92-96(7)......

After an very significant amount of comparing frames with a digital micrometer I have to disagree. I cannot recall the exact dimension but there is no difference between my Bronco frame, my diesel SC F250 2wd my, RG diesel F350, 4x4 my gas F350 CC...all where brick nose..and I"ll be running the mic on my 92 OBS SC diesel 4x frame for shitzngigglz too

however one caveat....I have a fully prepared bronco frame, sandblasted and primered...from early 80's and it's significantly thinner!

I think that some of the earlier 80's frames where different, however I beielve they went to one frame thickness later on.

I do know that SUPERDUTY frames are thicker!

JM2CW

As for the cab swap...should be a complete bolt on affair with the bumper being the only difference at all.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After an very significant amount of comparing frames with a digital micrometer I have to disagree. I cannot recall the exact dimension but there is no difference between my Bronco frame, my diesel SC F250 2wd my, RG diesel F350, 4x4 my gas F350 CC...all where brick nose..and I"ll be running the mic on my 92 OBS SC diesel 4x frame for shitzngigglz too

however one caveat....I have a fully prepared bronco frame, sandblasted and primered...from early 80's and it's significantly thinner!

I think that some of the earlier 80's frames where different, however I beielve they went to one frame thickness later on.

I do know that SUPERDUTY frames are thicker!

JM2CW

As for the cab swap...should be a complete bolt on affair with the bumper being the only difference at all.

Hmm, I never did measure my diesels but I had this same argument on FSB a while back except I was in your shoes. People were concerned about putting a diesel in a Bronco frame and I said 460s are almost as big and they are the same thickness as every other frame. I didn't have diesels at the time but I have an 89 and 93 so I'll have to check.

The pre 87 frames are known as the "Swiss Cheese" frames.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....The pre 87 frames are known as the "Swiss Cheese" frames.

Nope....that would be early 80's actually....and pre 84 to be exact...

this is why they where referred to as swiss cheese frames.....

Clearly this is inadequate for serious load capacity....80-82 IIRC so 3 years...might have been 2 and they where thinner too.

here is a derby trucks frame.....UGH

Yup safe for sure in an accident...NOT!!!!

and lastly above the front axle on the frame....*****

You must be registered for see images

Ya this was not one of Ford's better ideas....LOL

Hope this clears up what a swiss cheese frame is and when it was manufactured.

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Swiss cheese frames... That made me think of the rust belt frames.. Not a factory #uckup like pictured above...:eek: There ought to be a law against that kind of engineering to save some weight and material.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, my mistake. I thought it was with the style change that they beefed them up. Haven't had any pre-87 trucks yet.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have personally put a 92 f350 sc long bed body on a 85 f350 sc long bed frame. other then the front bumper, it was all a bolt in. i used the 92 fuel tanks, fuel lines, springs, ect.
only reason i did it was the 85 frame was in great shape, and 4wd. the 92 frame was also in great shape, but it was 2wd.

before anyone says, i know i could have converted the 2wd frame to 4wd, but i restored the frame and axles, then just switched bodies.

so to answer the question at hand, the front bumper is the only thing that will slow you down, everything else bolts right in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really need to do a better job with the bumper.

Attachments

• SL377788.JPG
    SL377788.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 10
  • SL377789.JPG
    SL377789.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 9