NOT Amazing

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Guys.... The dripping fluid off the bottom is probably diesel. Remember he has 2 hard lines that are cross threaded on injectors..... I will guess its something in the shifter. As you posted, sometimes its hard to "find first gear". Russ... You need a nick name.. Maybe "Russ to the rescue".... Sure wish you lived closer to me...:cry:

I was thinking about that today.....and yes I am basically retarted that would be from leaking fuel injectors :D

Yes, Russ is the man, I'm fricking glad he's about an hour away from me ;Sweet

Silly sideline guess here, as I have no idea what the pattern is on the 4wd shifter on that thing, but you said the speedo was reading 30 and you thought 15 and maybey the transfer case shifter got knocked around somewhere, and maybe not you, maybe you left a door unlocked today and someones rugrats were in there playing big truck driver and were running shift levers back and forth and possibly that transfer case lever didn't get all the way into a gear?

Not that I would know anything personally about this except for when I was a little rugrat and dad went into a store for a few minutes and.....:angel:
I think I was walking ok in about a a week :backoff :rotflmao

Nope, I was doing 30mph for sure, looked and sure enough it was registering 30mph....no problems there.

I went and started pulling the tranny today. Not noing exactly what to face, I dont have the tranny out yet, so it looks like next Sunday will be pulling the tranny.

The clutch hydraulic system is all good. I pulled the inspection cover, lots of metal in there. Had my dad helping me.....he says looks like the throw out bearing bit the dust. I'll need a new clutch as well, cause there is a chit load of clutch material everywhere. All I have to do now is jack up the tranny, pull out the cross member (all unbolted, just sitting under there), and pull all the bolts out of the tranny that go into the motor, there should be 6 right? That'll be a pain in the ass. I'll probably have to pull the downpipe. Good news is I caught a real far gone U joint in the rear driveshaft, where it goes to the rear axle, I mean like I could turn the driveshaft a good 1/8-1/6 of a turn before it would stop it was so far gone. Good thing I caught that ;Sweet. So yeah....I will be searching craigslist a lot for a good ZF.

My parents are wanting to go in with me on a OBS PSD.....all they said they want from me is $3000......it is really really tempting guys, let me tell yeah. Only thing holding me back is the fact that I pretty much know they wont let me mod it, from all the crap I've gotten about "hot rodding" my truck and now its "falling apart, and breaking down."

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS PowderChokers breakdown too. Your rig looks great and has some personal family history, and the modding had little if anything to do with your throwout bearing and/or clutch biting the dust.

Go to work, take your time getting it apart and evaluating what broke and fix it. If you find anything up here in Portland let me know and I'll do anything I can to help you out.

R. J.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
OBS PowderChokers breakdown too. Your rig looks great and has some personal family history, and the modding had little if anything to do with your throwout bearing and/or clutch biting the dust.

Go to work, take your time getting it apart and evaluating what broke and fix it. If you find anything up here in Portland let me know and I'll do anything I can to help you out.

R. J.

Yeah I hear you, I wont do it, cause no modding. I would consider it, probably not do it, but consider, if I could mod it. But like you said, family history.....I dont think I call be face to face with my grandparents and tell them I sold the truck they gave me. Thats just how I am, dont think I could do it.

If I find one up that way, and your willing to go look, that would be awsome ;Sweet. We'd have to meet up and BS a little as well ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's just the clutch, that won't break the bank. You can get a rebuilt clutch assembly from Ft Wayne Clutch through Ebay for $80 shipped here
I've got one of their rebuilt clutch setups on my truck, best work I've ever seen, and you sure can't beat the price. Only thing I might suggest is buying one of their kevlar pilot bushings, about $30, but a real problem slover down the line

Might be a good idea to get it back on the road fast and cheap instead of reinforcing moms terrors over the thing by ripping into a $$$ tranny swap right now

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If it's just the clutch, that won't break the bank. You can get a rebuilt clutch assembly from Ft Wayne Clutch through Ebay for $80 shipped here
I've got one of their rebuilt clutch setups on my truck, best work I've ever seen, and you sure can't beat the price. Only thing I might suggest is buying one of their kevlar pilot bushings, about $30, but a real problem slover down the line

Might be a good idea to get it back on the road fast and cheap instead of reinforcing moms terrors over the thing by ripping into a $$$ tranny swap right now

Yeah....so far its looking alright. We will see if there is any damage to the tranny when we pull it...I hope not. Your right though, I should just stick to what I got for a while.....trans swap down the line. I'll still look for a good used trans for cheap donar truck.

I've had clutch issues though. I was told by my grandfather that the clutch that was put in it was a ceramic clutch....but its not LOL. That means the real harsh slipping of the clutch, with the shaking of the truck (real bad in 2nd gear, shakes change out of the ash tray if its open). So I'm thinking that when he had it done, it wasnt done right. Oh well though. I upgrade to a nice truck for a week or two now :D

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RDSL, was that a single or dual mass clutch from Ft. Wayne? Also, can you let me know what you thought about the overall quality. I have to do a clutch in mine soon, I have a couple of dual mass flywheels, but neither of them are what I would call "tight".

Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RDSL, was that a single or dual mass clutch from Ft. Wayne? Also, can you let me know what you thought about the overall quality. I have to do a clutch in mine soon, I have a couple of dual mass flywheels, but neither of them are what I would call "tight".

Thanks

THe set I bought from them was on a LUK core, it had springs in the clutch disc , but interestingly enough, they said those kind can be used in either single or dual mass flywheel installations, and it all fits perfectly on my dmf. The one I got was lined with a kevlar lining, it cost a bit more, but I was still lucky and caught it on ebay when they had some overstock. They get quite a bit more on their company website. I've seen oodles of rebuilt clutches over the years and this one was by far the best I've ever seen, If I didn't know that it wasn't new, I would not have been able to tell, and I went over the thing with a fine tooth comb. I love that kevlar lining. Grabs smooth, but does not slip, and I tow fairly heavy, but the thing doesn't require heavy leg pressure and I don't have much left in the knee dept.
It looks like they have some for 88-94 here
in kevlar , a little different disc design than what mine is, but I'm sure it's good stuff, Mine was full faced instead of a button like the ones shown( buttons are supposed to be smoother for high friction materials, but I don't see how you could get any smoother )

Here's their company website Very helpful folks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check for the dreaded firewall flex/crack? Its hard to really damage a T18 or 19 but the softer parts can go bad(syncros, shift forks etc) and the one I had for my "drop in project" was so trashed that it would never have gone into reverse right. However that comes from repeated habitualy grinding of the gears and I doubt either you or your grandfather did that. Pull the top cover off for peace of mind. I don't know if the 4X4 is like the RWD version but pulling a T18/19 2wd is no biggie. Its just disconnecting the 4 bolts to the bellhousing and pulling the driveshaft then getting out the crossmember. I'm sure the transfer case makes another step for you but you can do it, I'd imagine you could get it done in an evening after work...or not, but certainly next sunday. Clutch looks easy too, my mechainic did that one, but the only real difficulty was making absoultely sure you have proper alignment of the clutch disk and the crank. Alignment tool comes with all the new kits to help with that.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yep,I bet you grenaded the throwout bearing.I did that in my deuce in a half in 50 inches of water(up to the cab floor).Mud got in the bearings,Locked them up and the throwout bearing made a NASTY squeeling sound that I thought was a belt.Found out it litterally burned the cast iron carrier for the TOB .750 back,burned through all 3 cast iron pressure plate fingers(a good .500 thick alone) and fried the clutch.Found out 5 miles down a jeep trail on a mountian ridge in a monsoon with no cab top.Clutch kept getting lower and lower until it wouldn't dis-engage.Had to drive it a good 7 miles(5 outta the woods and 2 home) with no clutch.Float gears.Bump outta gear and shut down the engine at red lights and Restart in gear.Oh,did I mention that we also had to pull out 3 vehicles in our group AFTER the clutch was shot....Bet you will find the same carnage plus I bet the heat fried your slave causing the oil leak.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ft Wayne Clutch is a GREAT company. Darn near got a great guy there fired because he gave me such a good deal on two Valeo DMF/clutch kits for these trucks. $1100 each SHIPPED. And they were NEW, not remans.
Found out later, when we had issues with shipping destroying one of the DMF's, they just sent out a new one and we sent the junk one back, but I also found out that the guy I bought them through was put on suspension for 5 days because they apparently literally lost thousands on that deal. Kinda felt bad, cus i know he was only doing business.

Glad to hear you only grenaded the clutch at TOB Justin.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of guessing going on. A thorough inspection is in order.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin when you get it completely out let me know. I can come look at it for you,also I can get you a NEW clutch at a good price. I dont use rebuilds unless the friction shop does them, I have had to change too many under warranty, meaning I ate the labor the second time. . Stick with the old truck, your grandpa wore out the clutch not you. Is the challenger hot rodded???

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ... Your still a kid with the wrenches. I've had one in my hands for over 45 years... Probably more like 50 really... I too have make some mistakes. Look at the precups on that head I gave you. I "cleaned" them up just a little too much. I removed the lip that helped with the burn pattern. I also opened up the throats lots. Yes, I have make mistakes too but I hope most of them were only once...:confused: :moon: :bail

Yeah but you are a lot older than me, :rotflmao you left that one way too open.:D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the throw-out/pressure-plate is all that you lost, you could have still driven the truck home.

I have twice pulled loaded cattle-trailers home from way out there with non-functioning clutch-release mechanisms on two seperate trucks, one my 1985 F-350 and the other a Chevy.

You just have to remember to not stop rolling or you have to shut off the engine, put it into first gear, crank the engine in gear, then shift through the gears without using the clutch.

From the evidence you have given, I still think you have either transmission or transfer-case damage.:dunno