NOT Amazing

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay, I like to start things off with what happened today.

So I got to work at 8am this morning and clocked in. Started working, and got stuck with this real crappy tractor that some (and excuse me if I affend anybody) fat Mexican (illegal) was driving earlier in the week. My tractor went to a guy who was filling in someones spot for the day, and my tractor for some reason was choosen to get swapped with. Anyways, so the tractor I got stuck in stunk like gross stinky a@@, it wasnt pleasant, I ran the A/C all day just so I didnt have to smell that crap. I hardly ate anything cause I didnt know what the hell I touched in there so I wasnt wanting to touch food with my hands and eat. Plus it had a crappy stereo. So other than that it wasnt that bad of a day......14 hours long. Before we left my crew leader asked me if I wanted to work tommorow, I thought about it for a second, and said no, I have to work on my truck. So at 10pm I clock out and call home and tell them I'm headed there. I take the back roads doing 45-50mph to save fuel (trying to offset leaking injectors). Drive is going good.....and this is what happens.

I was pulling into Silverton, and as I was accelerating mildly from a stop I went to go from 1st to second. Clutch seemed kinda weird, and the shifter was in a weird position. I let out the clutch and I'm in 2nd, but it pops out after around a second. No big deal right, I just didnt put the shifter all the way down into 2nd. So I do it again, and I'm on my way. I'm cruising through town, 25mph in 3rd gear. After a mile of driving I get to a stop sign...and this is when the chit hit the fan. I go and push the clutch in and roll to a stop. Cars are coming so I sit there and shift it into 1st gear, or try to. It didnt really wanna go, but it does that sometimes, so I back the shifter off a little, and give it a little more force, and it goes into 1st gear. The cars left, so I let out the clutch, and I hear this loud "KABOOM." Truck stalls out. Car behind me is honking, I get pissed flip them the bird and tell them to go around (old couple cookoo ). I go and push the clutch in and try to start it, truck starts rolling along and starter stops turning. I let out and am just cussing like no tommorow, real loud, in a residential area :eek: . I put the tranny into neutral, and turn the truck on, and I hear this weird sqeeking kinda like a belt sqeeking except different, and truck wont go into gear. After a couple of seconds of messing around, I get a real bad smell of burnt clutch. I shut truck off, and even with pedestrians walking around (kinda downtown area, with resturants and shops and stuff), no-one helps though :mad: . So I sit there with like 15 people watching me and I get to push my truck back into kinda a side alley. I call up the parents, and told them to come get me. They get there with there truck, no trailer though cookoo . So I get out the car puller line deal (you know what I'm talking about), and hook it onto my front axle. I get a long spiel as were doing this of, well you know your truck didnt start doing these things until you hot rodded it......that was enough of that. So we pulled my truck home at 30mph for 15 miles. I figured out half way as I look at my speedo, and its registering 30mph. Wait a second, I think to myself, it reads off the transfer case, thats means the transfer case is turning, F#*% I forgot to put that into neutral. So ya.....we towed it home, with my mom sitting beside me talking about what I was going to do...should I fix it, sell it, fix it and then sell it, part it.....lots of that stuff. To be honest I was like lets get me a PSD...she laughed....I tried. She started talking about VW rabbits and stuff, uhh I'm 6'5" 215pounds screw that I wont fit.

So ya....here I go braging about how good my truck runs on 3/4's of the cylinders, and it goes and does this. You know that half hour wait for them to get there with people all pointing and kinda smirking is something that could lead a guy to think about alternate vehicles....I just dont know if I could do that.

I dont even know what is wrong with it. Clutch being semi applied in neutral is kinda weird....I got 1 day to fix it, then its driving the parents rigs for a week until I get another day to fix it.

So yeah, not the best day for me. Kinda bad when chicks from school see you in your truck that they know is you, having to get towed, not a good thing.

It finally left me stranded....

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I ever got in situations like that, it didn't take me long to figure out that the absolute last resort was to call my quarrelsome parents for help.cookoo

From your description of what went wrong, I have no idea as to what is broken.

If it is a ZF5, I am gonna say the transmission has went haywire; it's just a thing ZFs do.

No, I see you have a T19; it surprises me to read of one of them going bad, but from your description of it being troublesome to shift into FIRST, and the way it popped out of SECOND, it sure don't sound like good news.

The way I read it, when you put it into NEUTRAL, it was still locked into one or more gears, such that the engine could not move the truck; what did you do to enable it to roll well enough to allow you to push it off the road ??

Also, how could putting the transfer-case into neutral take the speedometer out of action ??

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh Ohhhhhhh, Bet I know

.......Ummmmm...:dunno .... and you were warned about running on 6 instead of 8 so you didn't destroy the DMF Here :bail :popcorn

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Are you running a DMF with that T19???
Why?

I am also very surprised to hear of a T19 taking a dump. We have over 650,000 miles on the one in my grandpas truck and never had a problem with it.
What it almost sounds like to me is the shifter put two gears in at the same time, which can happen if the shifter is worn badly. Did the shifter move really loosely, like did you have to hunt for gears and stuff? If you did then that could be a problem.
Im not joking when I say T19's are HARD TO KILL. The transfer cases are more likely to go out that the tranny.
If its your trans, then maybe its time to do that ZF5 swap.

Trust me Justin, I know how frustrating stuff can be. I just went through over a year of replacing stuff in my moms truck until we finally got a new engine to put in it, and that even turned out to be more work than what it should have been.
Im not joking when I say we took the transmission out of that truck atleast a dozen times, and let me tell ya, that'll **** anyone off.
Im also not joking when I say we have over $7000 in new parts and labor charges (for testing the new parts) in that truck now. Tell ya what, if it still doesnt work, you can come get it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the early trucks I have done did not have a dual mass fw. 4 speeds dont have the rollover noise that a 5 does. I bet you have shifter or fork problems or the clutch has just fragged and needs a new one. IF the trans is suspect. and you can get it over here , The trans not the truck, no room ,we can fix it I have a killer connection on parts.
So dont buy anything till you call or whatever me. K?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Awsome :D. I'm not really in all that bad of a mood, I guess **** like this happens sometimes.....I just wish not to me LOL. I was kinda thinking clutch, cause there was some oil on the road, kinda dripping, not much though. It was to dark to tell what kind though. Worst case scenerio maybe a perfect time for a ZF swap :dunno . Its running a solid flywheel, so running on 6 I dont think is the problem. But that popping out of 2nd is a little weird though. Guess I will look at the clutch first, pull the tranny ispection cover look at the clutch, and maybe drain the tranny fluid and see what that looks like.

Russ, pm me your phone number again, I will be in touch with you ;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No (additional) harm done flat towing the truck at 30 mph....

Take a look at the clutch slave cylinder and inside at the clutch. Might just be a relatively simple problem. If it ends up being in the hydraulic linkage, do yourself a favor and replace both ends and bench bleed the assembly.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's oil and not brake fluid? Have you taken a good look at your clutch hydraulics?

It's just something to think about...if the clutch slave cylinder isn't pushing the arm the whole way and the clutch is still (at least partially) engaged, I could imagine something like your symptoms happening...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Warden's got a good point. And as a matter of fact we had a clutch master cylinder literally explode on the firewall once on grandpas truck. Made a loud kaboom just like you described, and it sure makes the truck impossible to drive with the clutch.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, if you don't see anything obviously wrong with the hydraulic system, (after filling up the master cylinder) have someone else push the clutch pedal in a few times while you're under the truck watching everything. MAKE SURE YOU'RE WEARING EYE PROTECTION WHEN YOU DO THIS...getting brake fluid in your eyes is NEVER a fun thing... :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Guys.... The dripping fluid off the bottom is probably diesel. Remember he has 2 hard lines that are cross threaded on injectors..... I will guess its something in the shifter. As you posted, sometimes its hard to "find first gear". Russ... You need a nick name.. Maybe "Russ to the rescue".... Sure wish you lived closer to me...:cry:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Silly sideline guess here, as I have no idea what the pattern is on the 4wd shifter on that thing, but you said the speedo was reading 30 and you thought 15 and maybey the transfer case shifter got knocked around somewhere, and maybe not you, maybe you left a door unlocked today and someones rugrats were in there playing big truck driver and were running shift levers back and forth and possibly that transfer case lever didn't get all the way into a gear?

Not that I would know anything personally about this except for when I was a little rugrat and dad went into a store for a few minutes and.....:angel:
I think I was walking ok in about a a week :backoff :rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys.... The dripping fluid off the bottom is probably diesel. Remember he has 2 hard lines that are cross threaded on injectors..... I will guess its something in the shifter. As you posted, sometimes its hard to "find first gear". Russ... You need a nick name.. Maybe "Russ to the rescue".... Sure wish you lived closer to me...:cry:

When you have had a wrench in your hand for 30 years, :confused: man that was painful!!, :dunno you learn a few things.
As a friend of mine says , that Russ knows stuff.
I also told him I made my share of mistakes, have never done the same one twice. Well except marriage, hope she doesnt see this.LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ... Your still a kid with the wrenches. I've had one in my hands for over 45 years... Probably more like 50 really... I too have make some mistakes. Look at the precups on that head I gave you. I "cleaned" them up just a little too much. I removed the lip that helped with the burn pattern. I also opened up the throats lots. Yes, I have make mistakes too but I hope most of them were only once...:confused: :moon: :bail