No power to IP or glowplugs

bradmclendon

Reaction score
Hi, new here. I've got a 1991, f350, 4x4, 7.3, zf5 . Just bought the truck, has been sitting up for couple years. I'm not getting a wait to start light, no power to injector pump or glowplugs. All fuses under dash good, any other things I should look for, thanks
Brad

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s connectors at both, but the one near the engine is the most common issue

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs from the fenderwell over to the motor. Usually right behind the fuel filter. Look for two large yellow wires on one side of the connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As already posted the engine main wire harness plug usually melts because of high resistance from dirt and corrosion in it. This plug is about 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. One end has the two yellow wires that feeds power to the glow plugs. Engineering has proven two small wires connected together can pass more amps and voltage than one thicker wire plus two wires are cheaper than one big one. Problem is where the power goes thru the plug.Those pin connections are just too small and heat up causing a melt down.
If you want to feed power to the injection pump just run a jumper wire to the connection closest to the radiator on top of the pump. that is the fuel shutoff solenoid. You will feel and hear a click when its power up. You can run your engine with this jumper as long as you want. Just remember to remove it to shut down or start up the engine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the connector looks fine then your ignition switch may be bad or may need adjusting.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your fusible links. If no power to the IP or GP controller you are looking for power to the red-green wire. The fusible links supply power to the ignition switch. They are connected on the hot post of the starter relay. Heavy yellow wires what divide. The skinny bits are the link wires. Wiggle the harness. Check both sides of the link wires for power. I had one drive me crazy. It had like one strand holding it together. It would read 12 v but pull the headlight switch and it dropped to nothing.

bradmclendon

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I have been running the truck with jumper wire for several weeks. All fuse links are good. Checked plug on both sides, getting good connection through plug with meter. Still no power to injector pump. I have power to the 2 glow plugs wires but no clicking at controller. Which wires at plug feed injector pump ? Thanks

bradmclendon

Reaction score
I found the red with light green stripe wire that feeds the IP . No power on either side of plug. All fuse links are good. All fuses under dash are good, can't find fuse box under hood. Why can't I just jump off of one of the other key on wires at plug and run to injector pump ?

Steve1986idi

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem but my relay clicks and have power out of the relay at 12 volts but no glow plugs or wait to start light. My ignition tumble is bad tho, to the point I have to lift up on my steering wheel when I turn the key for it to crank, so maybe that is suspect .