No power steering to right

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it has been a long time! Frankenstein has been an absolute bulletproof tank for all that I have put it through even with the 230k, 2 quarts of oil a week, pulling a trailer 5 days a week 8 months a year and plowing the rest it just keeps on truckin'! This truck has absolutely blown me away with its reliability. It is like a GD mule. It has never let me down. I couldn't have any more pride or respect for my truck.

This spring the power steering started getting noisy and all of a sudden I lost power steering to the right only. I flushed the fluid and replaced with new to try to improve it, but nothing changed. Research suggested the pump, pitman, steering box, etc, but nothing definitive. Anyone have this problem? I am leaning away from the pump even though it should probably be replaced due to age anyway. Let me know guys. Thanks!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering box. Both my trucks, 3 years apart, within a week.lol

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it has been a long time! Frankenstein has been an absolute bulletproof tank for all that I have put it through even with the 230k, 2 quarts of oil a week, pulling a trailer 5 days a week 8 months a year and plowing the rest it just keeps on truckin'! This truck has absolutely blown me away with its reliability. It is like a GD mule. It has never let me down. I couldn't have any more pride or respect for my truck.

This spring the power steering started getting noisy and all of a sudden I lost power steering to the right only. I flushed the fluid and replaced with new to try to improve it, but nothing changed. Research suggested the pump, pitman, steering box, etc, but nothing definitive. Anyone have this problem? I am leaning away from the pump even though it should probably be replaced due to age anyway. Let me know guys. Thanks!

Yep, steering box. Replace the pump and soft lines, and flush the hard line good at the same time. This way you shouldn't have to replace the steering box twice, GRRRR!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are 4x4 check knuckles and u-joints. if you are 2x4 check knuckles. if there is no problem in those areas, you problem is in the spooling valve in your steering gearbox..

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a box. If ya need one I have a couple used ones, probably fit in a large flat rate box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are 4x4 check knuckles and u-joints. if you are 2x4 check knuckles. if there is no problem in those areas, you problem is in the spooling valve in your steering gearbox..

what am I looking for in the knuckles?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can get rebuilt. Not sure if you can get a new one.
You can also go the redhead route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a box. If ya need one I have a couple used ones, probably fit in a large flat rate box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank to the rescue once again... I will let you know. Thanks Frank!

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Though it is always a good idea to check all possibilities (such as frozen or stiff front end hard parts) I have to agree with Towcat. My 91 did this. At first it was just occasionally it would "lag" going into a turn. The the power would catch up. Certainly unnerving on a twisty road. Always did it to the wife on the run to the other ranch to feed. Finally after it did it to me one day I knew what she was cussing me about....... It was always worst cold. I have had this happen several time on big rigs over the years and 2 times to pickups. The hydraulic valve that opens when turning the wheel sticks.